1. IL-76
    12.06.2021

I use such a Cyclops regularly on the Sony A7R3, much more convenient than the usual Helios 40, only I removed the tripod foot from it so that it would not interfere. On the open side, there is enough sharpness, so I use it without aperture. Covering more than a FF frame is a common thing for manuals. To get a picture from the edges, using the Metabones Speedbooster Ultra on a Sony A7R3, it almost does not vignet in the full frame. It turns out a "medium format" picture, a fairly large coverage is provided not only by manuals, but also by many EF lenses. Minus - you always need to crop the photo a little from the black edges, as a result, the crop factor is around 0,78-0,82 - like a “digital” SF. It is also good that the original speedbooster hardly eats up the light - there, according to experience, less than 1/3 of a stop loss.

2. Ivan
    12.06.2021

Thanks for your review. I admit I misunderstood something.
    "Of the types of glass required for the production of Helios-40 in the Russian Federation, only LF-5 and TF-1 are produced at the LZOS plant, but Helios-40-2 lenses have been produced at KMZ for almost 9 years."
    How is the modern Helios-40-2 made now?

12.06.2021

apparently it was counted for another glass, but no one will tell us about it. If they say - old lenses will rise in price

3. Alex
    12.06.2021

Where did you get the diaphragm? I thought at first that it was from Tair, but there are 20 shiny petals.

• Rodion
      12.06.2021

I bought a microscope

• mAlex
        31.12.2021

Microscopic - from the Biolama condenser?

• Rodion
        31.12.2021

No, but that type, yeah.

• mAlex
        02.09.2022

I want to try to fit one in the G-92 from LETI into the middle of the lens block.

4. Vlad
    12.06.2021

I also have an old Cyclops and a brand new Helios 40-2, it's all lies that the G-40 in the open is not sharp, sharp! but he, too, is good in certain cases of his picture-bokeh.

12.06.2021

Information about Helios-40T is given somewhat incorrectly. This lens was designed to project an image onto a vidicon (ortikon) with dimensions of 24 x 32 mm.
    And not for re-shooting from a fluorescent screen to photographic film.

6. Jea reth
    12.06.2021

So I waited.
    It remains only to somehow attach the lens that I was talking about on the BZK. Although I have little idea how this can be done with his RO.

I remember that I was driving the G-40 in the M39 version. A friend bought it for herself and gave it to me to put it in order, because there the grease died a terrible death from time to time. Well, it's heavy, a dog ... Although on covered up to 2.8 it gave in general sufficient resolution for 13MP on FF. Here is a snapshot from him.

• Jea reth
      12.06.2021

The onion grief does not want to attach

• Rodion
      12.06.2021

The one you spoke about is unrealistic to transplant in its pure form. At least on the A7s for sure. But it's tempting, what can I say.

• UstasFritZZZ
      14.06.2021

Heavy ... After Sigma 85 1.4 Art all other lenses seem light))

14.06.2021

After 105 1.4 Art

• UstasFritZZZ
        14.06.2021

I didn't hold 105 in my hands yet, but after 85 the impression remained for a long time

7. B. R. P.
    13.06.2021

Dust-dirt, probably it is hammered into this gap ...

8. Molchanov Yuri
    13.06.2021

Great! It was worth the trouble to install the diaphragm. Thanks for your review!
    Gradually I forgot both sites where I used to spend a lot of time (DXOmark and lenstip), but it is impossible to part with radojuva largely thanks to your articles. Thanks again!

9. tryamer
    20.06.2021

used Cyclops, Cyrillic inscription. another interesting feature, dear met. lid, with a neat round hole in the center. about 1mm. With hands on ISO 320, on a sunny day, you can shoot. the picture comes out with a low resolution and a huge grip. it is also very useful with film if the sensitivity is around 1-3 units.

10. Jury
    15.08.2023

A wonderful review from Rodion of the technical version of the Helios-40-2 lens. By chance, there was such a copy in my hands. The lens upset me with terrible aberrations and significant chromatism. All this did not fit with the responses to this lens by many authors. Fortunately, there is an optical design with all sizes of distances between lenses. He admitted that the lenses were made with high quality (Rodion confirms that these are the products of Krasnogorsk), but the lathe may not correspond to Volosov's calculations. In the end, it turned out that way. When I adjusted all the gaps between the lenses, the result was amazing. After that, he made the necessary adjustments. Added an iris diaphragm from Chinese comrades. I used a helicoid from a Mir26 lens with minor modifications. The weight turned out to be about 770g.

• Rodion
      15.08.2023

And what gaps were not maintained and by how much?

• Jury
        16.08.2023

Good afternoon There are working records in the course of lens adaptation. I can send them to whatsapp.
        The gap between the first and second lens should be 0.07mm, in fact 0.3mm. Between the latter should be 0.2 mm, in fact 0.4 mm. Last size tolerance +\-0.03mm.

• Rodion
        16.08.2023

Hello! Thank you for your reply, please email: rudzil@yandex.ru, or in social networks (VK, FB, Inst)? Also wondering where they found the gaps that should actually be there? Unfortunately, I don't have a G40 scheme.

11. Jury
    16.08.2023

Good evening! Concerning the sizes... The sizes are specified on the basic optical scheme in your work. Unfortunately, perhaps this is the only lens for which there is initial information (((.

• Rodion
      16.08.2023

Oh, well, yes) I thought there was some other source)

12. Jury
    16.08.2023

Alas, there are no primary sources on lens blocks, they would fit very well (((. This is not enough ... I suspect that the lathe is the source of many troubles.

• Rodion
      16.08.2023

Yes, I still don’t have documentation for this asshole)

• Jury
        17.08.2023

I would like others too :)