According provided by lens MC HELIOS-77M-4 50mm 1: 1,8 ZENIT M52x0,75 (with the logo of the Jupiter Optical and Mechanical Plant, Valdai and serial number 9117574) many thanks to the reader of Radozhiva - Vladimir Pivovarov.
MC HELIOS-77M-4 50mm 1: 1,8 is a rare and interesting Soviet fifty kopeck piece. There is already a version overview on Radozhiv MS HELIOS-77M-4 1,8 / 50, with the logo of the Vologda Optical and Mechanical Plant.
Differences between the Valdai and Vologda specimens are few:
- Different factories manufacturers.
- Different spelling of name and parameters - MC HELIOS-77M-4 50mm 1: 1,8 и MS HELIOS-77M-4 1,8 / 50.
- The different font sizes used for aperture marks. Also, the MC HELIOS-77M-4 50mm 1: 1,8 version has an additional point near the F / 1.8 value.
- Different enlightenment optics... Coverage MC HELIOS-77M-4 50mm 1: 1,8 has a brownish tint from the front and rear lenses, and MC HELIOS-77M-4 1,8 / 50 has a green-lilac tint.
I did not find other visible design differences between the lenses. But what’s interesting, the MC HELIOS-77M-4 50mm 1: 1,8 version (from this review) works much better in backlightThan MS HELIOS-77M-4 1,8 / 50. It is quite difficult to get a flare or flare on the MC HELIOS-77M-4 50mm 1: 1,8. In all other optical characteristics, I did not find any significant difference between these lenses. Due to the better work with the backlight, I am inclined to believe that the enlightenment of the MC HELIOS-77M-4 50mm 1: 1,8 is much better.
The visible difference of the lenses can be seen in the following photos:
On a full-length mirrorless camera Sony a7 I used a lens with an adapter without any problems M42-Sony NEX.
You can download RAW + JPEG source files at this link (20 files in the '.ARW' and '.JPG' formats, 558 MB). All photos in the gallery above are on-camera JPEG from the camera Sony a7.
With your photos on the MC HELIOS-77M-4 50mm 1: 1,8 and the camera Canon EOS 450D shared a photographer Natalia Ova:
With your photos on the MC HELIOS-77M-4 50mm 1: 1,8 and the camera Nikon D800 shared photographer Alexander Chorny:
How to use with modern cameras?
Lenses with mounting thread M42 (M42 X 1 / 45.5), such as the lens from this review, are very easy to use on almost any modern digital camera (both SLR and mirrorless), for this it is enough to choose the right adapter (adapter). You do not need to carry out any additional steps to modify the lens.
The cheapest adapters can be found aliexpress.com... There are adapters (adapters) with a chip that provide more convenience during shooting, usually chips are used to confirm focus and / or metering exposure, and form the correct EXIF. The chip does not affect the image quality in any way.
For some SLR cameras (for example, Nikon F) it is necessary to use adapters with a corrective lens, which allows correct focusing at all focusing distances. For any mirrorless camera, such a lens is not needed, and the adapter is a simple decorated hollow metal tube with an appropriate mount.
For SLR cameras
- Canon: For cameras Canon EOS with bayonet mount EF / EF-S need an M42-Canon EOS adapter, such an adapter with a chip can be found herewithout chip here.
- NIKON: For cameras Nikon DX / FXas well as for cameras Fujifilm и Kodak with a Nikon F mount, you need an M42-Nikon F adapter, you can buy such an adapter without a lens and a chip here, with a lens without a chip herewith chip without lens here, with lens and chip here. Why a lens? Why chip?
- PENTAX: For cameras Pentax with mount K you need an adapter M42-Pentax K, you can buy such an adapter here.
- SONY/MINOLTA: For cameras with a Sony / Minolta A mount, you need the M42-Sony A adapter, you can find such an adapter without a chip at this linkwith a chip at this link.
- OLYMPUS / PANASONIC / LEICA: For cameras with a 4/3 bayonet mount (not to be confused with Micro 4/3!) You need an M42-4 / 3 adapter, you can buy such an adapter here.
For mirrorless cameras
- SONY: For cameras with an 'E' series mount SonyNEX и Sony Alpha you need an adapter M42-Sony E (aka M42-Sony Nex), you can find it at this link. An autofocus adapter is also available for these cameras. Techart PRO Leica M - Sony E Autofocus Adapterwhich can be found at this link.
- OLYMPUS / PANASONIC / KODAK / XIAOMI: For cameras with a Micro 4/3 bayonet mount (Micro 4: 3), you need the M42-Micro 4/3 adapter, you can find it at this link.
- CANON M: For cameras with a bayonet mount Canon EF-M need adapter M42-Canon M, it can be found at this link.
- CANON R and RF-S: For cameras with a bayonet mount Canon r need adapter M42-Canon R, it can be found at this link.
- Nikon 1: For cameras Nikon 1 Series need adapter M42-Nikon 1, you can find it at this link.
- Nikon Z: For series cameras Nikon Z need adapter M42-Nikon Z, it can be found at this link.
- FUJIFILM X: For cameras with mount X need an M42-Fuji X adapter, you can find it at this link.
- FUJIFILM GFX: For medium format cameras G-mount need M42-Fuji GFX adapter, you can find it at this link.
- SAMSUNG: For cameras with NX mount need adapter M42-Samsung NX, you can find it at this link. For the camera Nx mini adapters do not exist yet.
- PENTAX: For cameras with Q mount need an adapter M42-Pentax Q, you can find it at this link.
- SIGMA / PANASONIC / LEICA: For cameras with L mount, you need the M42-Leica L adapter, you can find it at this link.
- LEICA: For cameras with a Leica M mount need adapter M42-L / M, you can find it at this link.
If you have any questions on compatibility and adapters - ask in the comments (comments do not require any registration at all).
Comments on this post do not require registration. Anyone can leave a comment. Lenses and promotions on them look at Moyo.ua.
MC HELIOS-77M-4 50mm 1: 1,8, like his twin brother MS HELIOS-77M-4 1,8 / 50, turned out to be an interesting lens with an unusual twisted bokeh and, in general, with a nice picture. As practice has shown, VOMZ version works much worse in backlight.
Familiarity with the Soviet Helios brand lenses I recommend starting with an inexpensive and common lens Helios-44-2 2/58 (aka HELIOS-44-2 2/58). The following links can look at modern lenses Zenitar и HELIOS.
Material prepared Arkady Shapoval. Training/Consultations | Youtube | Facebook | Instagram | Twitter | Telegram | Assistance of the Armed Forces
Yes, enlightenment is really brown)
Interestingly, someone already mentioned these corners, which had to be sharpened a bit so as not to cut your fingers?
You can download RAW + JPEG source files here https://cloud.mail.ru/public/xAKM/UXUPPVdnZ
Arkady, the link does not work. Can you refill, please?
Tell me please, does the mirror cling to the Canon 6D? How can I check without risk?
Drive focusing from and to and see if the rear lens protrudes beyond the adapter line. If it does not protrude, it will not cling, because the mirror does not cling to the adapter. But if the lens goes beyond the adapter line, then there is a risk.
yes, the mirror clings to 6D at infinity
I accidentally photographed the same flower from the same angle as the penultimate photo in the gallery (the one without processing) on the Mir-1V lens with a Canon 5D camera. No processing.
Please tell me what is the difference. There are two such 77th lenses, both produced at the Jupiter plant, but on the first there is an inscription “HELIOS”, and on the second in Cyrillic letters “HELIOS”. What does this mean? About the year of production or maybe that the model was exported? Which one is better to choose?
Better is the one that is better preserved. They may not differ at all.
Both lenses as of the box
So the one that is sharper. They can still differ in enlightenment. But usually there is no direct significant difference between HELIOS / HELIOS, although there are rumors that the quality was higher for export.
I photograph with Canon 500d, Helios 44M-6 58/2 and Industar-61 L / Z 50 / 2.8
Tell me, does it make sense to buy MC HELIOS-77M-4 50mm 1: 1,8 as well?
Or is it not worth it, having already good lenses?
It will not expand your creativity in any way. That is, of course you can buy, if there is a good offer. But it will be logical to leave one, the one that is more pleasant in terms of design and condition.
1. There are never too many fifty dollars.
2. 77m-4 still differs from 44m-6 and, moreover, from Industar. The schemes are different.
Why do you need three lenses with +/- the same focal length?
Different optical designs -> different patterns. And 58mm on a crop is not 50mm.
So such a desire has a right to life. If there is an opportunity to buy at a low price, then why not.
I also have an inscription in Cyrillic. Enlightenment yellowish purple.
Here it is
The constant feeling that everything is spinning ...
Good afternoon ... On the lens in Latin .. Jupiter factory .. on the aperture ring near the value 1.8 there is a dot ... while not significant coverage of the DF .... tell me ... what did the manufacturer want to say with this dot? ... thanks!
Intermediate value, F / 2
Tell me, is the MC Helios 77m lens cropped or full frame?
Learn to read carefully. This is a lens for Soviet film cameras. There was no crop (in the modern sense) in those days. Therefore, the lens is full-frame, but you can also put it on crop. through an appropriate adapter.
Where is the list of pros and cons?
Where is the list of pros and cons?
No cons, only pros.
It would be great to marvel at the alignment with the Nikon 50mm f1.8D.
What is the difference in sharpness, color transfer and robots with side and back light? І chi є sense in yoga shopping?
At the time of writing, the Helios cost 2600 UAH, and the Nikon 50mm f1.8D 3000, so the difference is insignificant.
Yakshko htos may dosvіd volodinnya both tsії ob'ektivіv, vіdpishіt, be kind.
There's only one autofocus for 1000 UAH.
And vzagali, є look around Nikon 50mm f1.8D.
And the photo in the looks of both lenses is not enough for visnovki?
Especially I zrobiv vysnovki (helios overprice), between tsimi two viberu Nikon.
Just nowhere is there a difference of plich-o-plich, in the same controlled minds and on the same diaphragms.
Є por_vnyannya z G-81N.
We don’t know the day according to your request, but less so ... May Nikon 50mm f1.8D and two Helios: 44-M and 81H. Nikon is richly sturdier in corystuvannya, more autofocus and light, but the picture is a new kind of cotton wool, especially at 1.8-2.5 (far better). Helios in this plan is richly cyanotic. I think the situation with the subject is approximately the same.
I live! Here I myself robbed the creative object - Arcadia, I’m already grateful for your work!
Having reached me, you have found MC HELIOS-77M-4 50mm 1:1,8 ZENIT M52x0,75 (Valdai), in a miraculous state.
Would you like a lens on a CANON frame-by-frame camera without attaching a mirror?
There is 1,5 mm protruding from the adapter. I can’t tell, then I’m worried. I am shaking to the point that I need to take another adapter. Tsey - great, no-name, without a chip, yshov “in the kit”.
I add a photo (sorry, on a smartphone)
I feel that in some cases, there may be such a problem on the full frame, but also the specifics of the production of the SRSR (in one place) is more deposited in the form of your copy
You can put the camera in LiveView, then attach the lens, focus to infinity, and take the camera out of LiveView. If the mirror is engaged, it simply will not lower and there will be darkness in the JVI. In my memory, there were no cases when such a procedure in the order described somehow damaged the mechanism.
If there is any engagement, then arm yourself with a needle file and file a little metal around the lens in the place that is at the top point when the lens is put on the camera. You don't need to cut the whole frame. To prevent dust from entering the lens, lay everything around the lens with cotton wool. You don't need to unscrew anything. On the contrary - make sure that the nut that locks the lens does not unscrew. After work, blow everything off with air from a pear. You can blacken after filing with a marker, it is better to use a Nitro-based Paint-marker.
Damn, I'll try
And can you tell me about the adapters? With a microchip, comrades, why not?
No, they are the same thickness. Therefore, take any, depending on convenience and aesthetic considerations. It is better to take with a “shelf” to block the jump rope. Usually with a chip comes with a shelf just right.
However, as I can see from the photo, the jump rope is already blocked. So you can not change the adapter.