1. Simon
    12.11.2016

Write pliz how to find the three screws that align the sensor?
    People say that you can do this at home:

Canon EOS 5D

Does anyone have experience how to get to three screws in 5D?

The plastic plate covering the three screws is peeled off the body, and then glued back without problems, there is an adhesive layer on it. It does not break, flexible. The screws are controlled by some kind of transparent gel, and the head of one of the screws was covered with smudge, had to be removed.

To tighten the screws you need a 1,5 mm hexagon. To parallel shift the platform with autofocus sensors, you need to twist all three screws at the same angle. In my case, to correct the front focus, I had to rotate them about 150 degrees counterclockwise.

I twisted them 15 degrees before each test, but you can turn them 30 - 45 or even more at first. It took not 15 minutes at all, but 2 hours - I tested it with different lenses, and at first I missed, checking only on hole 2,8.

It is imperative to check with different apertures, for example 2,8 and 5,6 at least. In a nutshell - the front blur starts much earlier than the back blur; when everything is actually set up optimally, there is a slight front-focus feeling across the full hole. And the zone of maximum sharpness shifts with aperture, just like in books on optics. We have to choose the middle ground.

2. Andrey
    13.06.2017

As far as I know, there is no cross-shaped focus sensor on the 20D / 30D.

13.06.2017

Is.

15.09.2017

When shooting with Canon 1100D and manual MC Helios-81H with a non-programmable adapter, I noticed that autofocus stops working at closed apertures of 8 or more. I thought it was a malfunction, but then I came across your article. It turns out that for the center cross-shaped point to work, focusing “should always be done with the aperture fully open” (2 - 2.8), and the simplified sequence of actions when shooting with a manual lens should look like:
    1. Focusing on the center point on the subject;
    2. INSTALLATION OF THE NECESSARY FOR CAPTURE OF THE VALUE OF THE IRIS;
    3. Frame layout;
    4. Shooting.
    Do I understand everything correctly?

15.02.2018

very good thanks

30.10.2018

1Ds Mark III, 1D Mark III - 45/19 - Focus points / cross points

6. Denis
    24.04.2019

Hello Arkady! Such a problem: autofocus on my 50d is constantly mistaken. Moreover, the errors are not systematic in nature, but depend on the direction of rotation of the lens (from MDF or from infinity). Autofocus adjustments through the menu did not have the desired effect, autofocus actually lives its own life. And, as evil, in my city there were no Canon service centers. What can cause this behavior?

• Novel
      24.04.2019

Have you tested the autofocus on other lenses?

• Denis
        25.04.2019

Agreed on this, the next few days I will check through the glass of another person.

• Michael
      25.04.2019

Do you have 18-55 tea?

• Denis
        25.04.2019

50 / 1,8. There is a whale too, but it is not critical on it.

• Yana
      24.01.2020

Did you solve the problem?

7. Vyacheslav
    01.05.2019

Good day! I would be grateful if someone would help to figure it out.
    I recently purchased a used 80D camera (excellent condition). Faced a problem: only the central AF point works exactly through the viewfinder. The remaining 44 cross points do not give an accurate hit. Most often, back focus. The lens costs Tamron sp 35mm f1.8. I tried different apertures, from 1.8 to 8, the result is the same.

Because of this, it is impossible to use the tracking focus in all 45 points in the device, the object is simply out of focus when it leaves the center.

Tell me what it is? Can I fix it?

01.05.2019

Main reasons
      1. maybe 80d is not compatible with the Tamron 35 / 1,8, this often happens. This is a flashing lens error
      2. maybe there really is a back / front on the camera. Can check with another lens

03.05.2019

I ask a newbie to answer! What is the preferred autofocus method for shooting stills and movies with the EOS M100 - tracking, zone, one-point? Please describe the pros and cons of each method

04.05.2019

Choose the af method, depending on what you shoot.

9. Pokemon
    12.11.2019

Tonight I estimated the difference in the operation of the AF module between 1Ds_mk2 and 1Ds_mk3.
    Tokina 28-70 / 2.6-2.8 lens, the room includes a chandelier and a night light, and there and there are energy-saving lamps. 1Ds_mk2 focuses slowly and uncertainly or refuses to do this the first time. 1Ds_mk3 is much faster and more accurately focused. The difference is very noticeable and more noticeable than between for example D4 and D700.

10. Alexey
    28.11.2019

Hello Arkady! Thanks so much for the article. I dare to offer you to supplement it with a description of the points and focusing system of the Canon EOS R and Canon EOS RP cameras, since they also belong to the EOS system. Thank you in advance.

11. Maria
    30.11.2019

Good evening. Yesterday I had to compare the focusing system on Nikon and on Canon.

I did not quite understand from the text of the article and may have missed it: when the subject of photography (its border) falls into sharpness - the sensor beeps, highlights the point in red. Everything as a whole, like Nikone.

But on Nikon there is still a certain circle in the lower left that burns while the object is in the zone of sharpness, and goes out when the object comes out of it. This is convenient, since the photographer sees once again that the subject did not come out of sharpness.

Is there a similar possibility on Canon, or is it all just an eye, through the viewfinder or LV?

12. Paul Kretz
    28.01.2020

Quick mode has long been removed from Live View. So not “all cameras have”, but only old ones, such as 70D, 600D, 100D ... For example, in 200D and 80D this mode is no longer there. But instead of Continuous AF, Servo AF appeared in Live View (not to be confused with Servo for OVI, although the essence is the same). However, now Continuous AF has returned to R, RP, 90D and others ... I tell a lot about this on my YouTube channel - Paul Kretz. PS This is my first comment on the site, although I have been a fan for a long time. Many thanks for all the materials!

13. Konstantin
    05.11.2020

Canon 650D Question: Are the phase sensors adjustable or are they glued to Chinese glue like on Canon 1100D? I have back focus. I think it's easier to move the phase sensors or move the matrix. And how much to turn the bolts. Back focus 1,5 cm. Half a turn is enough? Who has experience?

• Ivan
      05.11.2020

You already answered in another chat. Read it, everything is written in detail there. There are no phase sensors in the chamber. There is one AF sensor, with one matrix, working on the phase principle. Of course, you can just turn it like that, but it will be an adjustment “by eye”, “from the bulldozer”. Correct configuration is done with special hardware and service software. For example, see how this is done on the Nikon D90 camera:

14. sergejs s
    13.01.2022

If you install a lens with a maximum f-stop of F2.8, then the horizontal components of the cross-shaped dots are turned on and all 19 dots work as expected,

this is how the central one worked with f4

15. sergejs s
    13.01.2022

In some models, cross-shaped focusing points consist of two components (2 'stripes') - vertical and horizontal, usually they are called cross-shaped points of increased accuracy

and the cross can consist of one component?

13.01.2022

then it will not be a cross (not an 'X', but an 'I', or '-')