I have been asked for a long time to review the Nikon D50. Behind provided by camera Nikon D50 body many thanks to Denis K.
The Nikon D50 is a very old camera, released back in early 2005. The camera from this review is more than 8 years old, which is a whole era by the standards of digital technology. Nikon D50 is a very interesting historical milestone in camera industry - this is the first and last Amateur Nikon Camera (as opposed to advanced amateur cameras) with an additional monochrome display and focusing motor. In the future, the entire range of amateur cameras, starting with the successor Nikon D50 - Nikon D40 and ending Nikon D5200devoid of monochrome display and focus motor. It would be very nice if in Nikon D40 only the display was removed, but the focus motor was left, then the younger line of Nikon cameras would have full compatibility with all autofocus lenses.
If you ask why the Nikon D50 is not advanced amateur camera, then everything is simple here - the camera is cut in terms of its functionality. First of all, Nikon D50 lacks an additional selector - a dial under the index finger, which is responsible for controlling the aperture. Also Nikon D50 has no depth of field preview buttons and FN buttons, no monochrome display backlight and no protective cover for the main display. Of course, the Nikon D50 doesn't have very useful flash modes - remote external flash control and regime high speed sync... In general, Nikon D50 is something in between Nikon D70 и Nikon D40.
Nikon D50 uses ISO from 200 to 1600. In Nikon D50 it is possible to use auto ISO functionin the camera menu maximum sensitivity cannot be set ISO, AIB for this function, and the most short shutter speedwhich can be set in the menu auto ISO is only 1/125 of a second. Manually set only 4 ISO values: 200, 400, 800, 1600. The old Nikon D50 does not show the best results at high ISO values. I'd like to add - it's very bad that Nikon D50 and Nikon D40who cannot use ISO 100 is set to a minimum excerpt shutter 1/4000 second. Because of this trifle, it is not always convenient to work with fast lenses in good light. But the minimum excerpt flash sync is 1 / 500s - a very good feature of Nikon D50 cameras, D40, D70, D70s.
Nikon D50 uses a 6MP sensor, which makes it possible to take pictures up to 3008 * 2000 pixels. 'Large'' pixels of old Nikon cameras first generation have their own unique charm. In general, based on the matrix installed in the Nikon D50, Nikon has released several cameras: Nikon D70, D70s, D40 and D50. It should be noted that the software imaging on these cameras is different, because cameras can give slightly different images, even with identical settings in the menu. But, as my practice shows, the image quality from these cameras is almost the same. Now cameras from this five can be used. for a very modest price. Nikon D100 although it has the same 6MP, but it uses a slightly different sensor to form the image (details in the review Nikon D100).
- 4 RAW pictures with the shutdown function turned off, slow shutter noise reduction
- 3 RAW images with slow shutter noise reduction enabled
- 9 JPEG images with slow shutter noise reduction turned off
- 7 JPEG image with long exposure noise reduction enabled
- 4 RAW + JPEG shots with long exposure noise reduction turned off
- 3 RAW + JPEG shots with slow shutter noise reduction enabled
- 49 frames in format JPEG Basic s
- in demo mode (without a memory card) 40 photos are always placed, which is typical for many Nikon cameras (isn't it strange?).
The Nikon D50 was first installed with a 420 pixel RGB sensor for metering exposure. The same sensor was then installed on a huge number of Nikon cameras. The list can be found in the section on Nikon camera metering methods. Amateur Nikon D50 is not able to work in semi-automatic modes with the old unchipped (manual) optics, only in the 'M' mode. The focusing system is the same as that of Nikon D70, D70s, D100, built on the basis of the module Multi-cam 900. 5 point focusing system the Nikon D50 is much more convenient than the 3-point Nikon D40, D60 и D40x.
Important notes on the Nikon D50:
- The Nikon D50 can use batteries from Nikon D100, D70, D70s, D80, D90, D200, D700, D300, D300sbut not vice versa.
- The camera has no image enhancement features such as A-Dlighting, aberration control, distortion control, vignetting control, HDR, etc. This is a problem for shooters in JPEG format. Of course, there is no video recording in such an old camera. I am writing about video shooting, since now many people are sure that if you have a SLR camera in your hands, then it should not just shoot video, but at least play guitar and download movies :)
- The central joystick of the camera does not have a central 'OK' button. The same inconvenience is observed in Nikon D80, D70, D70s.
- To switch between AF-S, AF-A и AF-C You need to pick your menu.
- The camera cannot shoot in RAW + JPEG Fine mode, but only RAW + JPEG Basic. Nikon D40, D70 have the same sore, D70s.
- Unlike Nikon D100, D70, D70s, the Nikon D50 has a Russian-language menu.
- Nikon D50 supports only SD cards up to 2 GB (SD 1.0). To write this review, I had to buy a 2 GB card :(
- The camera has a function bracketing exposure.
- RAW files do not have compression settings and only support 12-bit color depthwhile RAW is stored in compressed form.
- The camera can be controlled remotely using a simple remote control Nikon ML-L3.
- You can find the Nikon D50 in a silver case.
- In focus mode AF-C the camera is in focus priority and you can take a picture at any time only in manual focus mode.
- The Nikon D50 uses a 2-inch 130.000-pixel display, the same as the Nikon D70s. The display is really small and not suitable for viewing the footage.
- The camera from this view was made in Thailand. The build is not bad. First-generation cameras last a very long time and sometimes even 'unkillable'.
You can download the original photos. at this link.
More examples of photos on the Nikon D50 can be found in the lens overview:
- Nikon DX AF-S Nikkor 18-200mm 1: 3.5-5.6GII ED SWM VR IF Aspherical
- Nikon AF-S Nikkor 85mm 1: 1.8G IF SWM
The camera often has serious white balance misses. When I was looking for a simple travel camera that I was not sorry to use in any environment, I settled on the Nikon D40 because of its light weight, 'normal' display and support for SDHC memory cards. One 32GB SDHC with Nikon D40 was enough for more than 2 weeks of travel. The Nikon D50, on the other hand, does not support capacious memory cards, has a small display and is heavier than the Nikon D40. Still, the Nikon D50 is a very pretty camera. Now it can be bought for only 150-200 USD, and for another 100 USD. to take Nikon 50mm f / 1.8D AF Nikkor and shoot for your pleasure. Due to the fact that older cameras such as the Nikon D50 have very little functionality and few of the different 'mind-boggling settings' found in modern digital control centers, these cameras are very interesting to use. When shooting, you pay more attention to the shot itself than to the camera settings.
Prices for modern Nikon cameras in popular stores can look at this link.Conclusions:
Nowadays, the Nikon D50 is a morally obsolete camera with very poor functionality. The camera attracts attention only focus motor and the presence of an additional display with quick setup of some parameters. A serious drawback is the small display and the small ISO sensitivity range. Well, there’s no reason to demand more from an old Nikon D50. In any case, even with the Nikon D50 you can get great pictures, because the main thing is to want to take pictures. I advise you to look at the page recommendations for choosing an amateur Nikon camera.