1. Alex gerdovsky
    03.03.2019

The article is interesting, thank you for your work. I am the owner of about 50 film cameras (FEDs, Zenits, Sharp, Kiev, Canon, Konica, Pentax and others). I have been shooting on film for 6 years (recently more on s / f), but I have never worked with Nikon - and the option with F801 attracts me very much, especially the reliability of the camera. In addition, the presence of a shutter speed of 1/8000 significantly expands the possibilities of sequential shooting on high-aperture optics without the hassle of ND filters. I'll try to buy it in Moscow tomorrow. Of the automatic film cameras, I really love the Canon EOS 650, but the 2CR5 format batteries are very stressful, in Moscow, of course, it's not a problem to find them, but in the regions it's not so easy - another plus for Nikon. And, of course, the viewfinder, it is simply gorgeous) As for the availability of analog photographic materials, there are no problems in our time, you can buy anything you want - sea films. And if you yourself have mastered the development, then this is a unique pleasure to go the way: shooting, developing, printing and everything with your own hands. Thanks again for the article!

• Alexander
      03.06.2019

I had a chance to buy a non-working device without a battery holder block and internals filled with electrolyte, for 400 rubles. for another 400 rubles. I bought a MB-10 batblock (not counting delivery), the repair cost 1200 rubles, well, I had a 50 mm G fix ... now I snap off the first test film - I will know .. but already the sensations from the device are excellent !!!!

• BB
        03.06.2019

I don’t understand: do you have a choice of used cameras so small that you had to take a non-working one? We in Ukraine are full of second-hand filmmakers in the range of 200-500 UAH (approximately $ 7- $ 20), moreover, for 500-800 UAH. come across already with standard optics. I took my F80 a couple of years ago for 150 UAH + delivery from other cities (≈ $ 6 + $ 1.5 shipping), then for 550 UAH. (≈ $ 20) took F65 + 28-80 / 3.3-5.6, the F65 carcass sold for 300 UAH ($ 11). All working, cosmetic condition 4 out of 5.

2. Ivan IO
    13.05.2019

I dreamed of this in the early 2000s. But I think you will play around and return to digital. The visible, real resolution, in the given photo, will not exceed 1..2Mrh. Probably it's all about a high-quality scanner, I had better negatives from Zenit (V30 scanner, if I'm not mistaken). True, you need to pull them very hard (wait, you just don't have it at hand). It's just that this picture is far from better than my old, cropped, D50, which was discussed at the beginning: “Many users of cropped cameras often complain ..“. Now, if at the place of exposure, attach some kind of matrix (such as a back for conversion).

• BB
      13.05.2019

If you mean to attach a digital back instead of a film, then we will get an ordinary CZK, if a back for scanning a film, then we will get a reshooting of the film, which can be organized like that.

13.05.2019

I did a blind test, laid out the pairs with the numbers ff and these. No one chose the film))).
      Let's face it, the quality is very, very mediocre with the film, low resolution, strange color.
      For lovers of color film, I strongly recommend that you study the problem of color stability in it and learn how to develop it yourself, and then scan it on normal equipment. Then maybe the quality of the picture will creep up to ff figures for $ 200 ...

3. 1D $ _mk3
    13.05.2019

So the film is different.
    There is deshman for 250-300 rubles per video, but there is KodakEktar, Ektachrome, Vision 3. Fujichrome Velvia / Provia.
    Good films like the above with good lenses will give a sharp, clear picture. FF resolution for such films up to 26-30MP. Moreover, the camera is not important, the main thing is newer. From medium format 120 films, you can stretch up to 80MP (!) From one Japanese on a flickr seen.

13.05.2019

Well, let's not interfere with bananas and oranges?
      The grain on the film, more precisely, its size is directly related to ISO. Not related to pixels.
      Pixels are obtained by digitization and depend on the quality of the scanner.
      The colors on the film are realized by chemical reactions on the emulsion layers and are not directly related to resolution.
      The colors on the film may vary due to the state of the emulsion, temperature conditions and the quality of the REVIEW of the film.
      As a result, we get that when using a film on ISO 100, 200 it is not known where and under what conditions it was stored, when developing in a lab where no one really controls the quality of the solution, when scanning for a scan for $ 100 or $ 200, getting a competitor to the figure is very unrealistic.)) )))

• 1D $ _mk3
        13.05.2019

Really.
        To avoid soapography is simple:
        1) Do not buy expired film.
        Fresh bulk.
        2) Do not buy cheap film.
        3) Do not use budget darkrooms.
        4) It is advisable to use modern cameras like F65-F75 at least.
        5) It is desirable that the camera was operational and had an accurate exposure meter. You can not put iso above the dx code of the film. If 400 is written, then we set 100-200.
        6) In Moscow there are enough laboratories that are shaking for the client and working well.

• 1D $ _mk3
        13.05.2019

When scanning, you can ask that the frames are not in jpg, but in Tiff.

13.05.2019

Not everything is so rosy.
        Shelf life is important but less important than storage and transportation conditions. In other words, you can buy a fresh film and get a floated color. The problem is familiar to everyone who has worked a lot with any color film, even the coolest brand.
        Regarding the lab. There, the solution is by no means poured onto one film and not only for you. Developing boys do not shine with special knowledge. Despite the fact that films are now showing little, solutions may not change for months. And in the lab they can scratch the film (micro scratches during broaching) and / or leave spots on the emulsion layer.
        In other words, filming on a film you get a process where the important part is not controlled by you in any way and with an unpredictable result, labor-intensive and expensive.

13.05.2019

Well, of course, optics. The higher the resolution of the optics, the higher the resolution of the frame, not to be confused with the size, which depends on the digitization scan.
        If you want a resolution comparable to mark 4 - put the lens no worse, that way for 2000-4000 $$.

• Andreykr
        28.02.2020

To compare the resolution of Mark 4 and a film SLR with optics for $ 2000-4000 is how to compare bananas and oranges. Mark4 is not able to improve optics or replace optics in any way, because this is just a carcass with a matrix.

Indeed, first of all, how many “megapixels” we get depends on the resolution of the optics. With cheap lenses, this usually comes down to 8MP (and even then, only in the center). This does not mean that it is enough to simply shoot on an 8MP matrix, because if there are many megapixels on the matrix, then after reducing to 8MP there will be fewer debayering artifacts compared to a picture from an 8MP matrix.

The resolution of the film is approximately 100 lines / mm (pairs of black and white lines, which is almost comparable to 200 pixels / mm), and sometimes more. With a frame size of 36x24mm, we get almost 35 megapixels. Mark 4 30 MP. The numbers have their own advantages, but with regard to resolution, the film does not really lose.

Finding a good laboratory is another matter. It is still possible to find it, since many people work with mail transfers. Digital scanning may be needed only in low resolution in order to select frames suitable for printing on the Internet. Printing in normal laboratories is done directly from film, without the use of scanners or other digital equipment, while the quality is noticeably superior to digital printing.

I would also add to the article that although the film costs a lot, if you do not shoot very much, one “film” per month and print 100 photos per year, then the cost of the FF CZK costs will approach only after 5 years and this spending is gradual ( can be stopped at any time), while for FF CZK money must be laid out all at once.

• BB
        14.05.2019

Unfortunately, things are bad with labs now. I don't know how in the capitals, but in a large regional city you still need to look. A couple of years ago I handed over two films to different labs - both were screwed up (the films were fresh). There is no time to bother with the development itself, and it is not particularly interesting - we went through this twenty years ago. Well, digitization is also a question ...

4. Lev
    12.08.2019

“For 240 cu You can: Shoot with a full-format SLR camera "The question immediately arises: how much can you shoot with a medium-format or (God forgive me) with a small-format SLR camera? And on the half-format?

12.08.2019

Fixed

5. Azake
    14.12.2019

Yuri, a question for you! Please tell me which film I shot and where I showed it?

• Azake
      21.12.2019

Rather, not Yuri, but Arkady. sorry of course!

28.02.2020

Photo signed: Fuji Superia 200.

6. Pokemon
    04.05.2020

Mb someone had experience shooting on film Canon EOS 50E?
    What problems does he have besides the back cover latch?
    I can’t decide whether to take it with a battery grip or a Nikon F65 with a battery grip.

• Ivan
      04.05.2020

I have an F65 with a battery grip. Better F100, and even better F6. What is good about the latest generations of Nikon film - full support for modern lenses with G, AF-S, VR, but certainly not AF-P and E (electronic aperture), and are compatible with all native flash units. I can not say anything about Canon, it is necessary to study the issue of compatibility. And they shoot film cameras almost the same way. The only difference is in focusing and exposure systems.

• BB
        05.05.2020

I will not say for F100, but F80 with SB-900 does not work in TTL. Latest supported flash - SB-800

• Ivan
        05.05.2020

Yes, the 900th does not support TTL with cameras without CLS. And SB-600 - supports TTL.

7. Pokemon
    14.05.2020

Taki bought a Canon EOS 50E with a BP-50E battery grip.
    I already had finger batteries (I bought it for Fuji Protroyke).
    It looks outwardly perfect, with a battery grip almost perfectly sits in the hand.
    Checked - Tokina 28-70 / 2.6-2.8 focuses where necessary.
    The focus is tight of course, and even up to 1Ds_mk2 as to Japan on Zaporozhets. But it gets to the right place.
    3 (three) focus points :-)
    The controls for the film camera from the 90s are impressive. At that time, probably just space.
    The body is fictional plastic, the most dumb detail of which is the back cover latch, which they say often breaks. I regretted a little, I thought that I should have taken EOS 3 or EOS 1, but in a tidy condition they will be 3 times more expensive. I wanted to take Nikon F80 / N80, but with battery grips, they are something expensive and owners with cameras want to sell something else unnecessary, inflating the price.

• Ivan
      14.05.2020

Congratulations on your purchase! What type of film are you planning to shoot?

• Pokemon
        14.05.2020

Thank you!
        Yes, on the usual narrow color 135th.
        In the second half of the 90s, I shot on a soap dish and Olympus Mju was a dream, and I never dreamed of a film SLR. Yes, and they were rare in my city then.
        In the 90s and early 00s, he shot on the most budget-friendly color Konica, Fujifilm, Kodak, less often AGFA.
        Now Kodak and Fujifilm are still alive from the brands I know. Like before Kodak GOLD.
        I think now I’ll start with him slowly.

• Ivan
        14.05.2020

Negative? Try on a slide.

• Pokemon
      14.05.2020

I forgot to add - the viewfinder is unusually large. Very comfortable and light.

8. Pokemon
    26.06.2020

Today, it was possible to buy EOS 3 in excellent condition in very good condition and load EOS 5 in good condition.
    In the Five, the handle sticks - a disease like on Fuji Heap and D200.
    I will still sell the five - there are no batblocks for finger batteries for it.
    And 2CR5 are becoming more exotic.
    In general, the sale of the EOS 50E and EOS 5 will pay for the purchase of a troika with a block. Three more than enough.
    The EOS 50E has a slightly blind AF module, but it did a good job in the dark - there are not many defects. The center point works best. A very friendly camera that cost about $ 90 in Japan in the mid-770s.

• Pokemon
      31.08.2020

As a result, EOS 5 and EOS 50E were sold, I continue to shoot on film on EOS 3.
      The EOS 3 with an 8 AA battery grip is subjectively heavier than the EOS 1Ds mk2 or EOS 1Ds mk3.
      EOS 3 liked the AF module - tenacious and many focus points, somewhat similar to the one that stands in units - 1Ds mk2 / 1Ds mk3.
      Tried the Kodak GOLD 200 today for the first time in many years. And the photos were disappointing - grain and narrow DD, as well as low detail. In terms of DD and color (as well as detail), we liked the Kodak Vision3 50D, 250D, and 500T cinemas so far.
      I also managed to try Kodak Aerocolor 125 - a film that is crazy in colors and contrast. DD is also very good.

• witness
        03.04.2021

Hey! I am writing almost a year after your comment. In March 2021 he took over a Canon EOS 50E. For 40 euros in good condition. I haven't loaded the film yet - but everything works and I like how it sits in my hand. Focusing with 50mm STM is fast and tenacious.
        I will experiment.

9. Murad
    09.11.2020

So what is the best lens to use for this camera? Not very expensive, fast lens. What about the Tamron 28-105 f2.8?

09.11.2020

If you find normal, then just right