1. Ullar
    13.04.2013

So, do you need 5 batteries for it ?? How to charge? Chargers usually go to 4. Or is there a trick to bypass this “feature”?

13.04.2013

The flash uses 4 batteries, and it can use 5 with a special additional compartment. AA batteries are charged with whatever you want, and convenience is another matter.

2. Ivan
    13.04.2013

I can say from experience that I had 10 batteries for 2700 mAh for this flash. Usually 2 reloads were almost always enough to snap an intense event lasting up to 2 hours. The main thing is to charge them before shooting, charged 4 pieces in 3 sets.

And if you shoot very intense events, you can be powered by external sources, which often is done by many reporters.

Now using the SB-900 with 4 batteries, I see that it is more economical than the SB-800 with 5th. Apparently energy-saving technologies do not stand still.

3. Victor
    26.10.2013

The flash is good, I have been using it for a long time, but its biggest drawback is the lack of a battery indicator. In responsible filming, this sometimes creates problems.

26.10.2013

No native Nikon flash has this indicator (

• Igor
        19.11.2013

here is an interesting

• Vladislav
        07.04.2014

Yes, unfortunately they show the charge only when it is over ((
        And Nissin flashes are the same ..

4. Igor
    19.11.2013

it would be interesting to know What color temperature does it produce in kelvins in comparison with SB-700, does SB-910 mean which shade is warm or cold ?? Because it was compared with SB-600 and SB-700 in SB-600 A pinkish shade clearly prevailed !

5. Igor
    19.11.2013

Tested on the D7000 Expo mode, the shooting conditions were the same!

19.11.2013

I am sure that the claimed statement is weakly related to reality. For getting a real shift in pink (or magenta) is not so easy to get.

• arman
        22.05.2019

Hello, how long is the lamp in flash units running? How can I check

• Michael
        22.05.2019

No way to check, only in appearance

6. Igor
    19.11.2013

Perhaps the lamp is planted on the SB-600! Or the lamp itself with a color temperature lower than that of the SB-700,900,910

7. Vladimir
    16.01.2014

Tell me, is there no GN mode on my flash (even on a flash not installed on the camera), or does it turn on somehow?

02.02.2014

Please tell me, is it worth taking Bush sb800 for amateur shooting, and in the future I plan to switch to a more professional shooting, or is it better to take sb700?

9. Anastasia
    21.04.2014

Please tell me I have a D 3100 camera, a standard kit 18-55mm, which flash is better?

10. Valery
    30.06.2014

Arkady, is the Diffusion Dome diffuser suitable for sb900 or sb700 for sb800.

11. Sergei 02
    12.07.2014

Hello Arkady, tell me. Will it work in TTL mode D90 + Nikon SB-80DX. Maybe someone has such a bunch?

12. Kitty
    27.10.2014

Arkady, tell me, I have nikon d90 and poltos and 70-300 TV sets, I want to buy a flash (I wasn’t familiar with this miracle before), I want sb-700 or 910 right away. mostly as a hobby, but I try to buy good phones. what do you advise? is it worth spending money on this at all or looking after something from nissin, yongnuo and so on? (there is a chance that I am not able to figure out how to use it) =)

13. Dima
    21.03.2015

Hello. Thanks for the article. Tell me, I want to choose a flash, I have a D90, which one to take Nikon SB 800, Nikon SB 700, Yongnuo 565EX or Yongnuo 568EX.

• Lynx
      21.03.2015

seven hundred

• Dima
        22.03.2015

Sights

• Ruslan
      07.04.2015

Of course 800. This is generally the most powerful flash on the Nikon system ever produced, and compared to the 700th, inferior in power to even the 600th, it is more powerful than 2 times. The leading number is 38 for sb800 versus 28 for sb-700. In addition, 800ka supports automatic non-TTL mode and 700ka not. And finally, for today 800ku you can buy a used one in excellent condition for less than $ 200, which is just a godsend for that kind of money (compare with the prices on ibei). And although the new 700ka costs $ 300.

14. Olga
    07.06.2015

Good evening! What is the best battery power for the Nikon SB-800? Are there any restrictions on battery power? I always used GP 2700 NiMH batteries for other equipment. Can they be put in this flash? The description says that there are something 2000 batteries there, but the description is very old, and I did not understand what this 2000 refers to. Tell me from your own experience, who puts what and how much approximately flashes there is enough charge of a set of 5 batteries?

• Igor
      24.07.2015

Just plug in the batteries ... they just sit down quickly.

• Alexander
      06.10.2023

LADDA on ozone look

15. Igor
    24.07.2015

Selling this for 8000r urgently. The condition is excellent. Call: 8 916-651-2222

16. The
    15.02.2016

> If you do not install all 5 batteries at the same time, but only 4, then the flash will not turn on.

It turns on and works without problems on four batteries.

• BB
      15.02.2016

With a regular lid, yes, it works. And if the 'tricky' cover (with a slot for the battery), then without one (any) will not work, because all batteries are connected in series (physics, grade 7-8).

17. Anna
    14.07.2016

Arkady, good afternoon!
    It so happened that I used the SB-700 for more than a year, but now when I bought a lens, I got a pretty narrowed SB-800. Now I’m thinking about which one to sell and which to leave. The second fully test the opportunity has not yet been. What do you advise?

14.07.2016

Leave the SB-700.

• Pastor
      19.07.2016

I am also for sb-700, having both much more often use 700, although it seems that in size and functionality they are not so hot as they are different for my tasks. In addition, a fairly squashed even sb-910 will be worse than the sb-700 in good condition, because it is not known how many puffs it will have enough, it will suddenly die. It’s difficult to sell a sb-800, it’s cheaper and live, or at the level of sb-700. And you will already sell your native sb-700 and will remain without puff.

• Evgeny
        24.01.2020

My SB-800 was already dying, in the service it was reanimated almost completely replacing all the electronics, for several years now it has been working like new. But the SB-700 just more often just lies. SB-800 is brighter and there is the possibility to use the battery packs due to the use of a booster with a 5m battery ,,,

18. Igor
    19.07.2016

Arkady, help to resolve doubts 1. There is nikon d610 and sb-900; 2. I want to use the flash remotely; 3. new TTL-enabled radio synchronizers are comparable to a used, but actually new ab-700 flash ... There is an idea to buy one instead of expensive radio synchronizers and make them friends :-) Moreover, it is much lighter than 900 and more suitable for travel. Will this be an adequate solution? Or is it better to buy radio synchronizers?

28.10.2018

Hello, tell me which flash will be better: nikon sb-800 or olympus fl-50? Both seem to be about the level.

20. Vladimir
    19.11.2018

I ask the help of the owners of sb800. I began to overslight by about 1 stop.
    I will correct it manually. No one has encountered this?

19.11.2018

On weak batteries, with a power close to full, it does not light up and writes on the screen that it is too light. And so the norms

21. Evgeny
    23.01.2020

The ability to use a 1-battery booster makes it possible to finish off old batteries in this flash. A complement of 4 half-dead batteries complement 5m and freely make 300 frames. And, for example, in SB-910, this kit will not work at all, the flash identifies it as already dead ,,,

• BB
      23.01.2020

For the old semi-automatic flash Hanimex-tz2 (bought for a penny, remade the sync contact for low voltage) I made a separate cover with a fifth battery holder, but there the cover was completely removable. It was a long time ago, then Eneloop-type batteries either did not exist yet or were rare and expensive. It made sense then. Now semi-dead batteries are used in all kinds of low-responsibility equipment - mice, remotes, etc. Using half-dead batteries at a responsible event is still a pleasure ...
      I suppose that the SB-800 was "sharpened" for power from batteries, that is, 1,5 * 4 = 6 volts, the batteries give out 1,2, that is. the fifth battery just raises the voltage of the kit to 6 volts. Modern flashes are "sharpened" for 1,2V batteries, and have the appropriate circuitry. And a set of 5 pieces - neither this nor that, tk. both chargers and holders are designed for 4 pieces (and sets of 2-4 pieces are usually sold).

22. John
    26.01.2022

Hello everyone. Can someone advise please? This flash can start whistling not only when recharging, but also in standby mode? Plus the whistle is not always smooth. Sometimes louder, sometimes quieter, sometimes intermittent. Or is this the end of it?

06.10.2023

Does the sb-800 have a built-in synchronizer?

24. Vladimir
    15.12.2023

Would you advise me to choose between two flash units, SB-700 or SB-800? Both are in equally good condition externally, in factory configuration, and both have their first owner.

15.12.2023

SB-700

25. Alex
    31.01.2024

I purchased a used SB-800. Very weak screen backlight. In low light it is very difficult to see anything on it. This is a feature, i.e. Do the new ones also have some kind of degradation (lamps, LEDs?) of the backlight?