For the opportunity Lens Series E 28mm 1: 2.8 Lens Review Many thanks to Andrei Mikhailovsky.
There are two versions of the Nikon E 2.8 / 28 lens. The first version was released from November 1979 to March 1981. The second version was produced from 1981 to 1985. Versions differ in different aperture control rings, the newer version has a metal ring (chrome plated), and the old version has a black plastic ring. This review presents old version of Nikon E 2.8 / 28.
There are 8 Nikon lenses in total. Series e, of which 5 fixes and 3 zoom lenses:
- Nikon Lens Series E 28 mm 1: 2.8 MKI
- Nikon Lens Series E 28 mm 1: 2.8 MKII
- Nikon Lens Series E 35 mm 1: 2.5 MKI
- Nikon Lens Series E 35 mm 1: 2.5 MKII
- Nikon Lens Series E 50 mm 1: 1.8 MKI
- Nikon Lens Series E 50 mm 1: 1.8 MKII
- Nikon Lens Series E 100 mm 1: 2.8 MKI
- Nikon Lens Series E 100 mm 1: 2.8 MKII
- Nikon Lens Series E 135 mm 1:2.8
- Nikon Lens Series Zoom E 36-72 mm 1:3.5
- Nikon Lens Series Zoom E 75-150 mm 1: 3.5 MKI
- Nikon Lens Series Zoom E 75-150 mm 1: 3.5 MKII
- Nikon Lens Series E Zoom 70-210 mm 1:4
MKI versions have a black plastic case, MKII - with a chrome insert for the depth of field tags.
The Nikon E Series lenses are very light. In their name, the Nikon E series lenses do not have Nikkor prefixes. Lens series e are also AI-S lenses. Nikon E 2.8 / 28 weighs only 150 grams, the optical design consists of 5 elements in 5 groups with NIC coating, the diameter of the front filter is 52mm. The number of diaphragm blades is 7, the blades are not rounded.
The focusing of the lens is smooth, the focusing ring can be rotated 90 degrees. MDF is 30 centimeters. The focusing ring is rubberized. When focusing, the front lens does not rotate, the 'trunk' of the lens is lengthened by half a centimeter. Using the aperture ring, you can set F / 2.8, 4, 5.6, 8, 11, 16, 22. DOF is indicated for F / 11, F / 22. The lens has a focusing distance scale. In general, focusing and controlling aperture is pretty straightforward.
Sample photos on Nikon E 2.8 / 28
All photos without processing. VI image management mode, converted to JPEG using VinewNX 2 with automatic detection white balance, reduced size to 3MP and imprinted data from EXIF. When shooting, an Osawa 52mm Skylight (1A) Japan filter was used. The 2.8 lens gives noticeable vignetting.
Nikon Lens Series E 28mm 1: 2.8 when used on Nikon DX cameras will have a 42mm EF, while all the charm of a wide angle will be lost. The Nikon Lens Series E 28mm 1: 2.8 full frame can be used for a variety of purposes where a wide viewing angle is required. The lens is very light, it is pleasant to work with it. Who is looking for a similar inexpensive autofocus lens, then Nikon AF Nikkor 28mm 1: 2.8D will be better than this Series E.
Nikon now has the following 28 mm autofocus fixes:
- Nikon AF Nikkor 28mm 1: 2.8 (MKI)
- Nikon AF Nikkor 28mm 1: 2.8 (MKII)
- Nikon AF Nikkor 28mm 1: 2.8D (MKIII)
- Nikon N AF-S Nikkor 28mm 1: 1.8G
- Nikon AF Nikkor 28mm 1: 1.4D
- Nikon N AF-S Nikkor 28mm 1: 1.4E ED
Comments here on the site do not require any registration. In the comments, you can ask a question on the topic, or leave your feedback, or describe your experience. For the selection of photographic equipment, I recommend E-Catalog. Many little things for the photo can be found on AliExpress.
Nikon Lens Series E 28mm 1: 2.8 is a good manual wide-angle prime lens made in Japan.