1. Evstraty Tugodumov
    26.12.2013

Found the focus lock trainer -http: //photo-monster.ru/books/read/trenajer-blokirovki-fokusa.html
    Everything is clear here, well, the same procedure can be performed using the AF-L key. Please write in what order to press the keys, where to hold, and where to press and release. And what type of focusing should be set (Nikon 3100).

2. Sergey Mukhin
    16.02.2014

it is focus lock with the release button, not the AF-L / AE-L button.

in order to block the exposure with the AF-L / AE-L button, you first need to go into the camera menu (Nikon) and change the default settings (there is simultaneous blocking of focus and exposure)

- MENU button
    - Custom settings menu
    - f Control
    - f5 Function of the book. "AF-L / AE-L"
    - AE blocking only AE (well ... or what you need to be happy)

Then ... in IRIS PRIORITY mode, MANUAL or P
    - aim the target at the area that suits you according to the exposure.
    - Press the magic button "AF-L / AE-L" (exposure is locked)
    - and WITHOUT RELEASING the button, move the camera to the desired position.
    - press the shutter down halfway (without releasing the “AF-L / AE-L” button) to focus on the subject
    - you shoot.

you are welcome :-)

3. Sergey Mukhin
    16.02.2014

Add.
    Metering should not be matrix (dot or center-weighted)
    If there is a matrix - these dances with tambourines are superfluous. and so everything will work out without blocking ...
    although ... worth experimenting.

4. Garik
    17.04.2014

Good afternoon. Please tell me, otherwise I'm completely confused. Initially, I set exposure lock to Nikon D610 by half-pressing the shooting button, but I set the AF / AL button to focus lock and most of the shots come out according to my creative ideas, but ... for shooting in conventional light, this alignment is not suitable, I had to assign the AF / AL button on exposure lock, FN button on focus lock, in general, shooting in this mode is compatible with feat. Please tell me if there are other options with a simpler solution, thanks in advance, Oleg.

5. Garik
    18.04.2014

Good afternoon again. All the same, my inquisitive mind found a way out, or rather I realized myself where I was wrong - I set the focus to “frame-tracking” and when half-pressed, the focus stopped getting lost, so the AF / AL button can be safely used when locking the exposure. But in any case, thank you, the site is interesting and diverse, I will gladly honor it in search of answers to questions and the articles are very interesting.

6. Daria
    07.05.2014

What needs to be done to unlock this button? I thought the lens broke, so I couldn’t adjust the focus, after all the clicks, as well as the information in the internet, it turned out to be a lock. Thank you in advance

7. Ksenia
    21.06.2014

Flash blocked. Tell me what to do?

8. zenz
    27.07.2014

Everything is as always intelligible and detailed !! Thank you for your work !!)

29.04.2015

Nicely described !!! And the examples are all clear - “in pictures” !!! :-)
    Immediately climbed to change the settings of this button !!! Thanks!!!

10. Pastor
    18.05.2015

And how to turn off this miracle - the button, otherwise I have it on fudge from 5, it kind of sunk and you always have to press it to change focus.

11. Yura
    22.07.2015

At the moment, I’m used to taking photos with the af-on function in tracking mode. It’s very convenient, it turns out 2 in one (single-frame and follow-up. But I decided to switch from matrix metering to center-weighted. If I understood correctly, then in comparing the portrait from the edge I won’t get the correct metering, since metering will occur during shooting and not focusing Do I understand correctly that in order to get the right center-weighted measurement, do I need to use the af / aero function or refuse this button and take pictures in frame-by-frame mode?

14.08.2015

The best shot in the version with a squirrel would be obtained if you make HDR either using the built-in function in the camera, or shoot three or more frames and then combine it on a computer. Sense of making a shot with a well-shot squirrel, but overexposure in the background? It turns ugly. The rest of the lesson is excellent, everything is clear.

• Van
      29.01.2016

the squirrel will wait until 3 frames are removed, it does not even move))

13. bushenboy
    24.09.2015

why is that? how to set auto focus ?? please help the focus point brought on itself

• Valery
      14.10.2015

for sure in your case the button and the exposure and focus are blocked

• Nadezhda
        08.07.2016

And I have a bolk AF / AE how to disable it?

14. bushenboy
    24.09.2015

16.10.2015

Hello everyone, I have had d90 since 2010, I mainly photograph in A aperture priority, and M manual settings, I also tried to press these buttons earlier but did not notice the result, thanks to the two buttons on the top panel of the camera are marked with green dots, we press them simultaneously, like Everything on the display will disappear and will reappear, release the buttons, all the factory settings have been restored, I use only aperture and shutter speed, excellent photos are obtained. 16 - 85 dx 3.5-5.6 nikon lens.

• Lynx
      16.10.2015

Come on??? Really?

10.03.2016

Just a huge experience in five years. Many have everything ahead ;-)

16. Novel
    22.04.2016

I apologize in M ​​mode; exposure lock is unnecessary huh? Enlighten who is not hard. Thanks for the answer.

• BB
      22.04.2016

It only makes sense if you use Auto-ISO

• Novel
        22.04.2016

It turns out that this function can be used effectively only in A and S, but not the fact that the camera will choose the right exposure the first time. So you can just take a few test shots in M ​​and the same thing will happen. Did I understand correctly?

• BB
        22.04.2016

I guess, yes. In static lighting conditions (studio, for example), when the background and the subject do not change much - it is even 'safer' to shoot in manual mode - once we picked up the exposure couple and that's it.
        But in conditions with variable illumination, it is often easier (faster) to use the priority of aperture or shutter speed - the same street: they went out or went into the shadows, or the sun went behind a cloud, but simply changed the angle - the composition and illumination in the frame changed.
        If you are not satisfied with the metering, you can change the type - center / matrix / spot (I often use the first one), you can set exposure compensation (even on a 'permanent basis'). You can also 'spy' the exposure coupler in A or S mode, switch to M, and correct the 'spied' parameters.

• Novel
        23.04.2016

Thanks for the reply.

02.06.2016

Arkady, thanks for the article. I use AE-L very actively, on sunny days in strong contrast conditions it is irreplaceable. In this case, I do not change the exposure, it usually stands at 0, and I choose the place for metering the exposure, fix it and then focus on the subject, as in your examples with the squirrel and in the temple. But I heard that someone is not using AE-L, but using exposure compensation. Please, explain, is it more convenient - every time, looking through the viewfinder or at the screen, turn the exposure compensation dial to select the desired one? And in general, is it possible, in principle, to completely cancel the need to use the exposure compensation button by locking the exposure?

01.07.2016

Exposure compensation and exposure lock are for different tasks. For dynamic scenes, it is difficult to use the method you specified, constantly fixing the exposure. Photographers who already know how exposure meter works with a particular camera under certain conditions can very quickly adjust the exposure and take pictures for their own pleasure. In this case, the exposure of the scene can change, the exposure correction will constantly introduce correction.

In advanced cameras, you can make "covert" exposure compensation. For example, if a camera with a certain lens constantly makes mistakes with exposure, you can set the hidden correction + - with an accuracy of 1/6. However, the exposure change + - icon will not appear in the menu or display. During shooting, the usual + - will simply be superimposed on the set value. With such a “hidden” correction, you can adjust the exposure meter for shooting “to zero” as it is convenient for the photographer.

Personally, I'm a big fan of using the + - correction. Instead of using the AE-L button for accurate exposure, I personally tend to use the manual exposure method (“Manual” mode for setting shutter speed, aperture, ISO, flash output empirically). I use the AE-L button on rare occasions when there is a precise spot to set the desired exposure.

Partially, I compensate for the work with AE-L by focusing on a single point with a set point metering of exposure. All Nikon CTCs replace the exposure in a single-point focus mode precisely in the area where the focus point is pointed. It is very, very convenient. Especially when you need to expose one specific object (most often a face), while the rest of the objects in the frame do not care.

18. Ufa
    25.07.2016

Eyes opened ... Two days after I bought the D90, I read a lot of literature (before buying, of course) and thanks to your intelligible article, my eyes opened an order of magnitude wider. Thank you.

• NE
      01.08.2017

Order of magnitude (mathematics) - the number of digits in a number. Two quantities are said to be of the same order if the ratio of the larger to the smaller of them is less than 10. Thus, the expression “an order of magnitude more / less” means “10 times more / less”.

19. Michael
    05.09.2016

Thanks! Everything is very intelligibly written. I used this button to lock AF-ON and the AE lock in the settings can be assigned to the shutter button.

20. Konstantin
    19.01.2017

I read the article thank you very much for the work done, finally figured out the AE-L AF-L button / such a question is set in the settings c1- when the shutter release is pressed, AE AF is blocked halfway, in the f7 settings the AE-L lock button is assigned AE lock lock, that is, when you press the shutter-release button halfway or the AE-L AF-L button, the same action occurs when the autoexposure is blocked?

22.06.2017

how now to get rid of its functioning and return to the normal shooting mode ... and another question ... is there a possibility to return to the factory settings? thanks for your attention to my question

25.07.2017

How does it work in live view mode?

• NE
      01.08.2017

Also

10.11.2017

Tried it, good setup. Only now I can't turn it off. When the trigger is pressed, AE-L flashes. in the user menu settings - f control - f 6 function of buttons AE-L / AF-L tried everything.

did a reset, exposure lock did not turn off. help turn it off. Nikon 800e

• Michael
      10.11.2017

This is not the right setting. There is something like “function of the shutter button” and there you can choose AE-L, AF, nothing. And function f6 assigns the function to the AE-L button, not the release.

• Sergei
        11.11.2017

The AE-L flashing in the viewfinder half-time has disappeared - turned off. - User menu settings - s Timers / AE lock - s1 AE lock for triggers. button - off. and when incl. flashes again.
        And exposure lock AE-L / AF-L is worth nothing.

• Michael
        11.11.2017

I'm glad I figured it out. Yes, I talked about this setting

24. Mike
    13.12.2017

Thank you so much for such a detailed explanation!

01.01.2019

In the same case, when photographing a squirrel, you can use spot metering of exposure, and do not fool yourself with this AF-L / AE-L button. Many people tried to use it, but now they don’t know how to disable this function that they do not need.