Canon 350D - was released back in 2005, soon this camera will be 10 years old, but it continues to delight with its work.
First, the Canon 350D is an amateur DSLR camera with an APS-C sensor with crop factor 1.6X. Canon 350D can use Canon EF (full frame), Canon EF-S (cropped) lenses. This review looks directly at the camera itself. Canon 350D body (without lens).
The camera is very easy to use, I did not find any complicated settings or complicated tricks of use in it. There are 32 settings in the camera menu, which are divided into 5 points. It’s very easy to understand.
The most important thing about the Canon 350D
- Canon 350D has a CMOS sensor on 8 megapixel. Even today, 8MP is enough for any photography enthusiast. With 8MP you can print photos without problems up to A3 size. Personally, I rarely print larger format photos. I think my article on the topic will be useful Battle of Megapixels. I do not recommend chasing megapixels unnecessarily.
- Canon 350D has the ability to shoot on ISO 100 - 1600, without the possibility of expanding the range. In fact, the matrix is quite old and noisy compared to modern cameras that can squeeze ISO 12. In any case, working as a photographer, I rarely need an ISO above 800. The camera in working in low light is very morally outdated.
- Canon 350D supports fast cards CF. My Canon 350D easily digests CF in the 32GB Trancend 400x, however, only 8 GB is available. CF have a huge speed of writing and reading photos and therefore help the camera quickly release the buffer.
- Focusing system includes 7 points. 7 points is enough for most tasks. I could not check the quality of the focusing system, since I used the Canon 350D exclusively with manual lenses, such as Canon Lens FD 55mm f / 1.2 SSC и Porst Color 50mm F1.6.
- The camera body is made of plastic, part of the inside of the camera is made of an alloy of metals. In general, the camera sits well in the hand and there is no doubt about the quality of its manufacture.
- Canon 350D has nice ergonomics - nothing more, the camera has quick access to the main settings: ISO, WB, metering method exposure, focus method, correction exposure, shooting method. The camera has one multi selector and one control wheel.
- The downside to the 2012 Canon 350D is very small display. It is extremely difficult to view the captured material on the display, therefore, I recommend watching the captured photos on a computer monitor.
- But the Canon 350D has optional monochrome display, which displays all the basic shooting information. True, I did not understand the peculiarity that when you change one of the shooting parameters, for example, ISO, the main display lights up, on which you need to select the desired value. It would be better if everything could be done with the help of an additional monochrome display.
- Canon 350D has a built-in flash, however, the flash does not have manual power control, which is sometimes very necessary
- The Canon 350D's viewfinder is small and adjustable. It seemed to me that the viewfinder is even smaller than even my baby Nikon D40. The viewfinder is made using pentzer mirrors.
- Speed of work. The camera can shoot at a speed up to 3 fps. In fact, it shoots at a maximum speed of 2.8 fps. This is not much, but quite enough for basic purposes. I do not recommend chasing fast-firing cameras without unnecessary need. The buffer in RAW mode when using the Battery Grip booster BG-E3 has the ability to store: 5 pictures in RAW mode, 4 pictures in RAW + JPEG mode and 9 pictures in JPEG mode. When working with a conventional battery, the buffer can hold as many as 14 JPEG files. This is a good indicator. RAW file weighs from 6 to 13MB. RAW has no compression settings, and RAW + JPEG only works in RAW + JPEG mode L.
- The minimum flash sync speed is 1 \ 200s. No high speed sync.
- A lot of little things: picture management modes, bracketing exposure, work from the remote control, USB 2.0, video output, automatic shutdown.
Sample photos on the Canon 350D
Radozhiva usually focuses on sample photos without processing. You can find such photos on the Canon 350D in Canon Lens FD 55mm f / 1.2 SSC review и XM F Porst Color Reflex 1: 1.6 / 50mm UMC. In the gallery below, all photos with processing. When processing RAW using Adobe Lighroom, I noticed that even at ISO 100 with easy correction exposure noise appears. When sharpening, the photo becomes very rough. Most likely, I just do not know how to work correctly with CR2 RAW from Canon.
In general, the parameters are parameters, and 8MP is really enough in order not to be constrained in photography, processing, etc. I liked the camera - nothing more, at least for the photographer's survival. Of course, nowadays ISO capabilities are very scarce, but at ISO 100-400 the camera produces quite acceptable results. Here sample photo without processing at ISO 1600. Color reproduction is not bad, the work of automatic white balance quite copes with its tasks. Sorry, the display is very small. I used the camera with the Battery Grip BG-E3 booster. This booster has a button on / off buttons on it. Very convenient to use, requires 6 AA batteries, did not want to work with my Ni-MH batteries. I wanted to take a Canon 350D earlier for writing reviews of manual optics for M42 threads, as this is a great option for little money.
Prices for modern Canon cameras in popular stores can look at this link.
In comments Can I ask you a question on the topic and you will answer, and you can also express your opinion or describe your experience. Many little things for a photo can be found on AliExpress.
Canon 350D is a good old hobby camera. For people shooting at low ISOs and viewing the footage on a computer, this can be an excellent CDC for little money.