For the opportunity Pentax K10D Review Many thanks to Alexander Perever.
The Pentax K10D was released back in the fall of 2006, and in 2007 the Pentax K10D was voted the best camera of the year, so the K10D is a pretty interesting model. When you pick up the Pentax K10D you feel that the camera is weighty, very well assembled. Pentax K10D is positioned as a semi-professional model, the same as Nikon D80 or Canon 30D. By the way, the camera really resembles something like cameras Canon 10D, 20D, 30D. At the moment, the Pentax K10D is outdated. In early 2012, it can only be found on the secondary market for a modest price of 300-400 USD. And the camera has a full clone - this is Samsung GX-10.
Pentax K10D has on board:
1. CCD with 10 megapixels... The Pentax K10D is a camera from the days when manufacturers made cameras with CCD sensors. 10MP is more than enough for basic photography tasks, I personally still shoot at 10MP Nikon D80, D200... Anyone who has already come across SLR cameras will understand that the difference between 8 and 12 megapixels is very small. I will say more, it is very difficult to feel the difference even when printing, here is a good example in the article megapixel battle.
2. Pentax K10D - APS-C type camera. Crop factor 1.5x camera. And this means that when using it, you need to take into account the decrease in the viewing angle that the lens gives. For example, when using SMC Pentax-M 1: 1,4 50mm on the Pentax K10D, the angle of view will be smaller, and the EGF will correspond to a 75mm lens at full frame. More details in the article about crop factor. It is a pity that the window is already 2012, and Pentax has not released a full-frame camera. But Pentax has a Pentax 645D medium format camera.
3. The camera has built-in focus motor, which allows you to focus with non-motorized lenses. For example, the camera will focus with a motorless Pentax SMC-FA 50mm f / 1.4. This will save on autofocus lenses and use old non-motorized film cameras.
4. Good build quality... The bottom of the camera reads Made in Philipine. When using it, it feels like the camera was made to last. The Pentax K10D is one of the first APS-C cameras from Pentax, and most likely they did it conscientiously. Also, on the bottom of the camera there is a rubber cap for attaching the battery pack. Bat block can be purchased separately. And most importantly, the camera has dust and moisture protection - a powerful argument when choosing a camera.
5. The limits ISO range 100-1600. When manually setting ISO, you can select intermediate values, such as 160, 640, etc. A nice feature of the camera is that in automatic mode can be set both the maximum permissible ISO and the minimum. This is very convenient and useful, the adjustment is very simple, using the front and rear selectors. Regarding the so-called working ISO, in the camera itself, ISOs higher than 400 are marked in yellow, which hints that it is better not to shoot them. Noise is already noticeable on ISO 400. You can shoot on ISO 1600, but very carefully. The camera cannot boast of a clean picture at high ISO.
7. Pentax K10D has optional monochrome display, the benefits of which are difficult to overestimate. The monochrome display is a sign of good ergonomics. It is very convenient for me to use it. The display has a backlight that is activated by the correction button exposure.
8. The main display in 2.5 inches and a total of 210.000 points. The display is quite normal at that time. But for today it is still small and with poor viewing angles. I do not recommend viewing the footage on it.
9. The camera has a menu for editing footage. You can correct the RAW footage. For novice photographers and ordinary people, this is a nice little thing. For example, I recently found out that on my Nikon D200 there is no such menu and I couldn’t play with the RAW settings of the image in the camera.
10. The camera can shoot in the spirit of RAW modes - DNG and PEF. Special thanks to Pentax for the opportunity to shoot in DNG, as he somehow approached the solution of the problem of standardizing RAW data. Who doesn't know, DNG is a unified RAW format that any processing program should read. Average RAW with extension DNG weighs 16MB and PEF weighs 12MB.
11. Frame buffer. For me, only the buffer for shooting in RAW is important. If you choose DNG, then the camera places 11 pictures, in PEF format only 9. This is a good indicator for a camera with this age. This allows the camera to shoot without braking for the first 3-4 seconds.
12. 3.3 frames per second... Not much, but enough. 3 fps is quite enough for amateur purposes. Considering that for a higher rate of fire, a larger buffer is needed, and this increases production costs, then 3 frames is just right for a camera of this type. For example, I am not chasing rate of fire and still shoot with Nikon D40 with its 2.5 frames per second. Just keep in mind that only professional photographers need a rate of fire; two frames per second are enough for an ordinary person. Always remember that it is not important what to photograph, but important how to take pictures.
13. The camera uses SD HC cards. My Pentax K10D made friends without problems with a 16 GB SD HC class 10 card. When shooting in RAW, it is always important to have a large voluminous memory card, or several spare ones.
14. Pentax K10D has a built-in image stabilizer, which helps increase shutter speed by 2-4 steps. With any lens you can use image stabilizer. This is very important when take off hands... And there is no need to buy lenses with stabilizers, everything is already built in. A very useful thing. But personally, I am of the opinion that in the Pentax K10D the stabilizer actually works at about 2 stops. The stabilization mode is activated by a special button on the camera body.
15. Pentax K10D has an unusual matrix cleaning function... It can be configured to turn the camera on or off. When you hold the Pentax K10D camera in your hands, you really feel that something is working in the middle and I think it cleans the matrix. But this is not a panacea, the matrix will have to be cleaned manually after a year or two of using the camera. Unlike many other cameras, here you can really hear how the dust shaker cleaning system works.
16. Autofocus has 11 focus points. It is quite enough for convenient work, while 9 of them are cruciform. Autofocus is great. There are different modes of its operation.
17. A lot of useful pleasant things. The camera has a special button to switch between RAW and JPEGThe battery cover and memory card cover are very well protected against accidental opening. There is excellent snapshot preview function - done by turning the inclusion lever even further. In this case, you can see the finished result of the image without saving it, or view the depth of field - for a simple and effective solution to preview the depth of field and the image, I give Pentax a bold plus. Also, the Pentax K10D has a button under bracketing and function multiple exposures.
18. The camera has the ability to work with manual optics. Econometrics and focus confirmation work. The only thing with old Pentax lenses is that the camera does not read aperture values. For older M42 or M39 thread mount lenses, the Pentax system is one of the best because it measures exposure and gives focus confirmation. For example, some Nikon cameras do not measure exposure and lose infinity with manual optics for M42 threads, and Canon cameras do not provide focus confirmation.
19. SV, TAV modes on the wheel control shooting modes. Unusual modes give priority to ISO sensitivity when selecting the desired exposure. Exposure at the camera from 30 seconds to 1 \ 4000 seconds. 1 \ 4000 is sometimes not enough in order to shoot on a fast lens during daylight hours. Minimum excerpt when synchronizing with flash is only 1 \ 180 seconds. For example, simple Nikon D40 can shoot with flash at 1 \ 500.
20. The battery is quite powerful, can easily withstand 1000 frames without a flash. It all depends on how to use the camera during filming, as well as on the lens that is used on the camera.
21. Measurement exposure Pentax K10D is pretty well implemented. He is mistaken very rarely. The built-in exposure meter has only 16 segments, but this does not interfere with giving the correct exposure metering.
All examples of photos in this review were taken on a Pentax K10D without processing (automatic conversion from RAW and JPEG with a reduction in size and adding a watermark from EXIF) You can also see sample photos on the Pentax K10D in galleries:
- Review AUTO Sears MC 1: 2.8 f = 135mm
- Cosina 200mm 1: 4 MC Cosinon-T review
- Review SMC Pentax-M 1: 1,4 50mm
- Review MC Wave 1.8 / 50
Prices for modern Pentax cameras in popular stores can look at this link.
In comments Can I ask you a question on the topic and you will answer, and you can also express your opinion or describe your experience. For the selection of photographic equipment, I recommend large catalogs of various photographic equipment, such as E-Catalog, or large online stores such as Socket. Many little things for the photo can be found on AliExpress.
Pentax K10D - a great option for your money. Suitable for those who like to use manual optics. Pentax K10D has low operating ISO values. But the camera has a built-in image stabilizer and well-designed ergonomics.Comments here on the site do not require any registration. In the comments, you can ask a question on the topic, or leave your feedback, or describe your experience. For the selection of photographic equipment, I recommend E-Catalog. Many little things for the photo can be found on AliExpress.