For the ability to write a review Pentacon Auto 1.8 / 50 Multi Coating many thanks Volodymir gulchuk.
My copy Pentacon Auto 1.8 / 50 Multi Coating was taken from a Praktica camera. The lens was available in different versions. There were 3 more versions of the lens before Multi Coating. Pentacon auto 1.8 / 50. In fact, they all differed only in a light redesign of the frame and the method of controlling the diaphragm and enlightenment. In total, as far as I know, there were 4 versions, the model presented in this review is the last of its generation. This is evidenced by the green color of the feet on the focus distance scale.
TTX Pentacon auto 1.8 / 50 Multi coating
Focal length: 50mm
Structure: 6 elements in 4 groups
Number of aperture blades: 6 pieces
MDF: 0.33m (indicated on the scale)
Aperture Limits: F1.8-F16
Front Filter Diameter: 49 mm
The weight: 250g
The optical design is very similar to the design of Helios (Biotar). Most likely, the lens circuits are identical. The lens itself is very similar to the Helios-77m-4, which also has 6 elements in 4 groups and a 50mm focal length.
Highlights you need to know about Pentacon Auto 1.8 / 50 Multi Coating
- Manual lens. The designation Auto in this case only means that the diaphragm can be controlled semi-automatically.
- The lens has a dedicated MA aperture control switch. In the M position, the diaphragm is manually controlled. In position A, the diaphragm is controlled in a semi-automatic mode. You can focus on the fully open, and at the time of release, the camera through a special diaphragm pusher will close it to the value set using the aperture ring. Many Soviet lenses, like Helios-44 and Helios-77m-4, lack such an M-A switch, they have to manually block the diaphragm pusher when used on digital-SLR cameras.
- The maximum aperture value is F1.8- This is a really fast lens. If you have a whale lens, then the maximum aperture on it is only F3.5, which is 3.7 times weaker than that of the Pentacon. Actually big aperture and old optics are famous for their low price.
- The lens is made of glass and iron. It stopped being released back in 1978, and it still works. This suggests that the German quality still makes itself felt.
- The lens is not standard front filter diameter 49mm. I wanted to put my own on him protective filter 52mm, but it did not fit, it turned out to be a little larger.
- The lens has multi-enlightenment. This is an important point when using the old manual optics. Multi-enlightenment helps this Pentacon to tolerate back and side light, as well as give a contrast picture
- Like any old manual lens, the Pentacon auto 1.8 / 50 Multi coating has depth of field scale for such aperture values: 4, 8, 16.
- Focus ring rotates almost 360 degreesand the Pentacon auto 1.8 / 50 Multi coating lens has 33cm minimum focus distance limit. A large and smooth focuser movement allows you to accurately and easily focus. A minimum distance of 33cm helps to remove small objects.
- Lens from full-frame cameras. When used on crop, the angle of the field of view will be narrower, and the EGF for crop factor 1.5 will correspond to 75mm. Pentacon auto 1.8 / 50 Multi coating is a classic fifty dollars, and fifty dollars on a crop are very often used for portraits. If you want to choose a good Soviet portrait painter, then look at the section “The best Soviet portrait lens"
- The number of aperture blades is only 6 pieces... They have a metallic sheen and can seriously interfere and add "hares" when shooting. Closed diaphragm values produce standard nuts.
The lens is very compact, sits well on a small SLR camera. It reminds me very much Helios-77m-4. It works fine, the picture is excellent, every photographer should have such a fifty dollars. The main competitor can be considered the Soviet Zenitar 50 / 1.7.
How to use with modern cameras?
Lenses with mounting thread M42 (M42 X 1 / 45.5), such as the lens from this review, are very easy to use on almost any modern digital camera (both SLR and mirrorless), for this it is enough to choose the right adapter (adapter). The cheapest adapters can be found aliexpress.com. Adapters (adapters) with a chip provide more convenience during shooting, usually the chips serve to confirm focus and / or metering.
For SLR cameras
- CANON: For cameras Canon EOS with bayonet mount EF / EF-S need an M42-Canon EOS adapter, such an adapter with a chip can be found herewithout chip here.
- NIKON: For cameras Nikon DX / FXas well as for cameras Fujifilm и Kodak with a Nikon F mount, you need an M42-Nikon F adapter, you can buy such an adapter without a lens and a chip here, with a lens without a chip herewith chip without lens here, with lens and chip here. Why a lens? Why chip?
- PENTAX: For cameras Pentax with mount K you need an adapter M42-Pentax K, you can buy such an adapter here.
- SONY / MINOLTA: For cameras with a Sony / Minolta A mount, you need the M42-Sony A adapter, you can find such an adapter without a chip at this linkwith a chip at this link.
- OLYMPUS / PANASONIC / LEICA: For cameras with a 4/3 bayonet mount (not to be confused with Micro 4/3!) You need an M42-4 / 3 adapter, you can buy such an adapter here.
For mirrorless cameras
- SONY: For cameras with an 'E' series mount Sony NEX и Sony Alpha you need an adapter M42-Sony E (aka M42-Sony Nex), you can find it at this link. An autofocus adapter is also available for these cameras. Techart PRO Leica M - Sony E Autofocus Adapterwhich can be found at this link.
- OLYMPUS / PANASONIC / KODAK / XIAOMI: For cameras with a Micro 4/3 bayonet mount (Micro 4: 3), you need the M42-Micro 4/3 adapter, you can find it at this link.
- CANON M: For cameras with a bayonet mount Canon EF-M need adapter M42-Canon M, it can be found at this link.
- CANON R: For cameras with a bayonet mount Canon r need adapter M42-Canon R, it can be found at this link.
- NIKON 1: For cameras Nikon 1 Series need adapter M42-Nikon 1, you can find it at this link.
- NIKON Z: For series cameras Nikon Z need adapter M42-Nikon Z, it can be found at this link.
- FUJIFILM X: For cameras with mount X need an M42-Fuji X adapter, you can find it at this link.
- FUJIFILM GFX: For medium format cameras G-mount need M42-Fuji GFX adapter, you can find it at this link.
- SAMSUNG: For cameras with NX mount need adapter M42-Samsung NX, you can find it at this link. For the camera Nx mini adapters do not exist yet.
- PENTAX: For cameras with Q mount need an adapter M42-Pentax Q, you can find it at this link.
- SIGMA / PANASONIC / LEICA: For cameras with L mount, you need the M42-Leica L adapter, you can find it at this link.
- LEICA: For cameras with a Leica M mount need adapter M42-L / M, you can find it at this link.
If you have any questions on compatibility and adapters - ask in the comments (comments do not require any registration at all).
Pentacon auto 1.8 / 50 Multi coating
Image sharp with F1.8. Depth of field is very small at F1.8, it is very, very difficult to get in one's eye. Very good sharpness comes at F2.8. From F2.8 to F11.0, the sharpness is very high. At F16.0, the diffraction on my cropped matrix takes its toll. The most interesting - chromatic aberration very well fixed and they are very small even at 1.8, also, I do not observe the frigging, which on my Nikon 50mm F1.8D AF just awful on F1.8. Distortions and vignetting on crop are also not visible at all. Great color reproduction. The contrast is excellent, the side light Pentacon auto 1.8 / 50 Multi coating tolerates well, in the back it catches a few hares and a noticeable drop in contrast. Bokeh interesting, for an amateur, a little double, somewhat reminiscent of a light watercolor. Unlike Biotars (including Helios-77m-4) it does not twist the background.
Sample Photos on Pentacon F1.8 50mm Multi Coating
Photographer shared examples of photos on PENTACON auto 1.8 / 50 MULTI COATING with readers of Radozhiva Lilia Nemykina:
Conclusions about Pentacon auto F1.8 50mm Multi Coating
Good manual fifty dollars. Excellent color reproduction, sharpness even at a fully open aperture. The manual control mode and the huge stroke of the focusing ring allow using it on modern digital-mirror cameras without any special difficulties.
In the comments, you can ask a question on the topic and they will answer you, as well as you can express your opinion or describe your experience. For the selection of photographic equipment, I recommend large catalogs, for example E-Catalog. Many little things for the photo can be found on AliExpress.