1. Misunderstanding, still
    03.01.2015

There was no lens with a constant aperture at hand.
    The change seen in the zoom of 70-300 mm did not give a complete answer to the question (although visually the hole becomes larger). Probably have to buy a zoom with a constant aperture and disassemble it)))
    Arkady, there is still a question partly on the topic. They offer a lens 70-210 f4 ai-s e-series, but on it a minimum of information on the network (even Uncle Rockwell ignored it). Interested in opinion in general as a lens and how will the aperture on the D7100 work on it?

03.01.2015

at 4.0 the aperture is not enough for the 7100, this is a series of cheap “E” lenses, they say that the optical is similar to the 70-210 / 4 AF, with a beautiful pattern. As for the diaphragm - well, since you've seen the hole change with your own eyes, what else do you need?

• Little Pony (probably)
        03.01.2015

Thank you for your reply!
        It’s just a tempting price, a five plus state, and it’s interesting to try the manual thrombosaurus on a modern camera. Although 70-210 / 4 AF is also a reasonable offer. Apparently a consumer attack has flooded here is something I'm looking for.

Regarding the diaphragm, I still can't get it (apparently the holidays have done an irreversible deal with the brainwave) - because if the diaphragm can be wider at the long end, then there will be a limiter on the short end so that it does not open (which is not good).

• battle hater
        05.03.2015

During the day, you can normally shoot static scenes. But dynamic on a cloudy day is very difficult.

2. Valery
    09.03.2015

If you put Nikkor on Kiev-19? And how to control the diaphragm?

3. Az
    21.05.2015

My friend and I had a little argument. Let's say there is a fifty-dollar f / 1,4 fix on a full-frame camera. The aperture was closed, say, to 5,6. And the zoom, let's say 28-300mm f / 3.5-5.6, set at the same 50mm focal length. The aperture is also set to 5,6. The dispute is this - will the physical diaphragm diameter be the same in both cases, or will the diaphragm diameter be smaller at zoom?

21.05.2015

The inlet will be the same.

• Az
        21.05.2015

As far as I understand, the diaphragm diameter will change with the change in focal length? That is, the aperture of 5,6 for 100 mm focal length is smaller than the aperture of 5,6 for 18 mm?

21.05.2015

For a larger focal length, a larger aperture. It is indicated that this is the ratio of the effective aperture of the lens to the focal length of the lens. The reciprocal of the relative aperture is called the f-number or f-number.

4. Lion0608
    14.01.2016

I read it, the material was compiled very competently. Everything is clear and accessible. For me, one of the most valuable statements is that it is necessary when photographing to look for a parallel with the physiology of human perception (like the same observation about bokeh was how the background blur effect manifests itself).
    It seems to me that the closer the work is to human perception (for example, in the photo, not the main thing is made less clear, focus on the main thing in the picture), the more positive emotions it will cause.
    This does not mean that the classical approaches cannot be violated, the artist can always flaunt the fact that he “sees it this way”. But to be eligible for such courage, of course, you first need to master the classic requirements. As, indeed, in art in general (in painting, in cinema (comfortable editing, the golden ratio in composition, plot), in ballet, etc.).
    Good luck and success.

5. Lion0608
    15.01.2016

Answer the newcomer if I understand correctly that even with the minimum possible (maximum) aperture value on the camera 3,5, I will not be able to even put the notorious 3,5 in even aperture priority mode for certain ISO values ​​(in dark scenes). It’s just what happens to me when I try to select the optimal ISO values ​​in mode A, does the camera set the maximum threshold (i.e., not 3,5, but 4,8 and 5)? Can this be circumvented and will it make practical sense. Or is it just because of my inability to work with this setting?

• BB
      16.01.2016

If you have an 18-55 f / 3,5-5,6 type 'zoom' lens, then the maximum open aperture of 3,5 is possible only at the minimum FR, when 'zooming' the aperture will be 'automatically covered' to the maximum possible value by this FR.

• Lion0608
        17.01.2016

Thanks a lot! I began to understand the issue slowly about the variable and constant aperture. Yes, I have just such a whale zoom.

16.01.2016

What is a “working diaphragm”?

16.01.2016

working aperture - the one from which the lens meets the image quality requirements, or
      working aperture - the one at which the shooting is taking place at the moment.

16.01.2016

Thank you.

7. Alexey
    02.03.2016

Arkady, good!
    An interesting question: is it possible somehow on nikon lenses without a diaphragm ring (in particular on nikon af-s 35 1.8 to set some aperture value, for example 8 and clearly fix it mechanically through the lever on the lens? Nikon d60 camera.
    The question is related to macro photography.
    Thanks.

• Yarkiy
      02.03.2016

If you don't mind, my answer is, the 35mm 1,8 is not the best lens for a flip-flop. 18-55 is more suitable. You won't be able to fix with the exact value, only with a very, very approximate. You can fix it with matches, pieces of paper and in general with all the junk at hand, small rubber bands, plasticine, a drop of hot glue. Shoot only in manual mode and only with flash.

27.09.2016

Hello. Please clarify my head. As an example, we will focus on the Canon 18-55 f3.5-5.6 kit lens. All my life I believed that at the maximum angle of view during shooting with a focal length, for example, 18, the lens takes on an aperture value of 3,5, and at maximum zoom it takes on a value of 5,6. The catch is that with a wide angle the diaphragm should close, and with an increase - open, but here it turns out the other way around? Explanatory please. thanks

• KalekseyG
      27.09.2016

re-read the article again and understand the concept - the relativity of the focal to the size of the hole.

• Pastor
      27.09.2016

Honestly, I did not understand the snag. Why “at a wide angle, the diaphragm should close, and with an increase - open”. How many lenses I know with variable aperture, I have never seen that at a wide angle it was smaller than in telephoto. Always the aperture decreases with increasing focal - the laws of optics. They can be bypassed by making a more expensive and larger lens with a constant aperture.

• Yarkiy
        27.09.2016

Just Alexander confuses what is desired with reality. For example, I would also like such a magical lens, you zoomed it, for example, up to 200 mm in the portrait, and he, such, once, opens a hole for you from 5,6 to 1,4. :)))

• Pastor
        27.09.2016

Yes, it would be just gorgeous. At 18 or 24 mm f5.6, large depth of field and everything is sharp for the landscape, and at 200 mm 1.4 and ears in bokeh :) When this lens is already released, how much can you feed us with all kinds of optical nonsense! :)

29.12.2016

If you make aperture number 200 at 1.4 mm, then the aperture should become 200: 1.4 = 142,8 mm. What kind of sensor should it be?

• Nicholas
      07.02.2017

any sensor, at least crop

10. Oleg
    10.03.2017

typo: "but in fact there is a certain sacristy between them"

12.05.2017

if I remove the aperture blades on the Nikon AF-S18-135mmf / 3.5-5.6ED-IF DX zoom-nikkor and shoot video in manual mode, will it keep the same aperture? after all, as you know, on the working lens, the aperture closes when zooming, why is this done?

• KalekseyG
      12.05.2017

It does not close; the relative aperture changes. That is, the hole size divided by the focal lens.

13.05.2017

how it doesn’t close, the picture darkens from 3.5 to 5.6 when zooming

• KalekseyG
        14.05.2017

Fuck ... .. Stupid!

• Rodion
        14.05.2017

Revealing the previous cattle answer: honorable sir, if you please devote 5 minutes to studying the variety of lens designs, and then another 10 - to the school optics course.
        Then you will reach Zen and understand why it does not close when zooming, although the relative aperture changes.

• R'RёS,R ° F "RёR№
      12.05.2017

As already answered - it does not close. In order to make sure and check, you do not need to remove anything - it is enough to block the diaphragm control lever with something.

13.05.2017

it’s just that there is a lens without a pair of petals, and I thought to remove everything so that it always has f3.5 and I don’t need it for video, the main thing is that the zoom should not change when zooming.

13.05.2017

13. Lena
    03.07.2017

Thank you very much! The most interesting, detailed, understandable article, even for a beginner - a girl !! ) in just half an hour I figured out all the moments I did not understand!

14. Alexey
    12.11.2017

“The relative aperture of a lens is a ratio or fraction. For example, let's take a lens that has a relative aperture 16 times smaller than its focal length, as a result, the relative aperture can be numerically written in the following ways: 1:16 or f1 / 16 or f = 1: 16 or F 1:16, etc. etc. There is no special difference in the recording and EVERY PHOTOGRAPHER WILL ALWAYS UNDERSTAND WHAT IS THE SPEAKING ABOUT ”. - Arkady! It is clear that you are not writing an article about aperture for photographers .. You can somehow explain it more easily, relatively newbies read it. Thanks!

12.11.2017

There goes a simpler explanation, for example, in the paragraph "What is the diaphragm?"

15. Marina
    29.01.2018

Good article! Thanks! I also liked the explanations here. http://hobbiphoto.ru/diafragma-obektiva-obyasneniya-dlya-novichkov/ can someone come in handy

16. Catherine
    30.01.2018

Thank you very much Arkady! Your articles are a treasure trove of information, and you are a born Teacher! everything is clear, easy and accessible (stylish, fashionable, youth :))

17. Irina
    28.04.2018

what beautiful pictures !!!

18. Dana
    30.04.2018

Thank you very much for the very interesting, informative material.

19. Maria
    18.10.2019

Dear experienced authors. Tell me.
    Here is an approach for those who shoot landscapes - to close the aperture more to obtain greater sharpness throughout the frame.
    An example when you try to take pictures at dusk without a tripod. In general, without grease, you can take up to 1 / 5-1 / 3 shutter speed (according to my feelings), respectively, other things being equal (I didn’t take a tripod), it is difficult to set longer than units, since you yourself can not control the process, it will be greased. If you leave the closed aperture at this shutter speed (up to unity), you will have to set it higher. At D800, whatever they say, the noise is felt like my old camera, just to a lesser extent. Instead of noise, I tried to shoot on an open aperture.
    Has anyone done this? ) I liked the result, although the picture could have been sharper, probably if I had a tripod and the ability to increase shutter speed and cover the aperture.

• Michael
      18.10.2019

Firstly, the landscape still implies a tripod and low ISO) But if you really want to ... The camera has a certain sensitivity limit, above which the image degrades and it will not work to suppress noise without losing detail. So first we raise the ISO to an acceptable level, if not enough - open the aperture, shutter speed at the limit. Secondly, the aperture is closed not only (and not so much) to improve sharpness, but to increase the depth of field. If there is no foreground in the frame or you have super-width, then you can shoot in the open)

• Maria
        18.10.2019

Thank you!

• Maria
        18.10.2019

Thanks again)
        Yes, I see "degradation", unfortunately, even on modern cameras a low ISO is better. I am not sure. I think in the right direction, but also because of the large amount of detail in the landscapes that are lost.

• Jury
      18.10.2019

Very much depends on the lens, how sharp the picture on the open aperture can be. In any case, it is better to cover the diaphragm with a stop. For example 20
      mm f2.2 DSC7955

• Maria
        18.10.2019

Thank you!
        20 is fr in this case? (EXIF is not saved in properties).
        Yes, I have just 28mm 2, it feels like 2,8, but it’s not clear with a large increase in the picture, because initially the picture is softer than modern lenses.

In the end, the avaricious pays twice. I have to go buy a tripod)

• Roman
        18.10.2019

Just don't buy the lightest or most compact. Because it will be another “cheapskate pays twice”.

• Maria
        18.10.2019

Thank you) I had to think about it, in any case I need something that will hold 2,5 +1 kg

• Roman
        18.10.2019

If 2,5 is a lens, then the tripod foot is definitely. Not only will the load on the camera mount be uncomfortable to remove, it will constantly skew forward.

• Michael
        18.10.2019

Just do not buy the heaviest and largest. This recommendation is as important as the previous one. Otherwise, he will lie at home. A simple tripod of a normal (not HAMA, ERA, etc.) company is quite suitable. It’s already more than 2 kg to carry a tripod

• Maria
        19.10.2019

Somewhere I heard a recommendation that at first it’s easier to buy a simple one (no more than 3k). In a year he will be killed, and you will gain experience and understanding what you need)
        I could be wrong. but lightness is often achieved through the use of aluminum, and it tends to bend