1. Vladimir
    23.02.2019

Arkady, good afternoon. Please tell me, but when using Soviet lenses on cameras with ASP-C matrices, the focal length is recalculated in accordance with the crop factor, but in terms of aperture such recalculations should be carried out, and how does this generally happen? After all, lenses are designed for a full frame, and the manufacturer produces its own for matrices with crop and lenses, in accordance with this, the aperture of Soviet lenses on cameras with asp-c will be higher than native optics. Those. if on Helios 44m-4 2/58 close the aperture at f 4, then physically the “hole” will be wider than if a similar operation is carried out at 18-55 3.5-5.6. Am I reasoning correctly?

23.02.2019

Recalculation by aperture does not occur. The light flux density will be the same. Only under the crop, this light flux will fall on a smaller matrix.
      If they said differently, the exposure parameters, such as ISO, shutter speed, aperture, flash output with the same lens on the crop and on the small frame (including the film) for the same scene will be the same (in fact, almost the same, but the details can be neglected).

• Vladimir
        23.02.2019

Thanks Arkady. Here is a question not in the subject of this article. I shoot with Canon 400D + 18-55 3.5-5.6 is stm, no matter how hard I try, sharp pictures are not obtained, I have already used manual focus, and aperture at maximum, and ISO 100, shutter speed from 250 to 1000 (in the morning it was light and there was time ). I tried to turn on the auto (I only shoot on M), on M I tried objects in the light, landscape and much more, in different versions. I understand that for a clear answer I need to check my photosystem for quality, maybe the lens is defective, although in perfect condition, but still - with what can I achieve sharpness in the photo? Maybe you should switch to Nikon, or you need good optics? Or crooked hands ...

• Novel
        23.02.2019

On aperture 8, almost all lenses show good sharpness. Of course, if they are working and the subject is in focus. In your case, it can smear the camera, it can smear the lens. Find someone with Canon and check, exchange lenses, take a photo. I don’t think it’s so complicated.

Take it off the tripod (an option - put the camera on the table if there is no tripod), but I can't imagine how much hands must tremble to give blur at such short exposures.

03.03.2019

What do you think is a sharp shot? Do you have any other lens?

• Valery A.
        03.03.2019

Aperture to the maximum? You didn’t mix anything up? With a maximum diaphragm (3,5-5,6), all whales are soapy.

2. Anonymus
    08.03.2019

“And then there are some very interesting CCCP lenses with an interchangeable shank. To use on a Canon camera, it is worth installing two adapters KP-A \ 42 + M42 - Canon EOS on the lens. Well, or quite with the perversion of KP-A \ H + Nikon mount F - Canon EOS. "

So there seems to be one adapter: T2 - EOS or something I confuse?

3. Sveta
    12.03.2019

Tell me, please, do I have a Jupiter-8m 2/50 lens, will the M39 adapter only work for me?

• Vadim
      06.05.2019

This lens will not work on a DSLR. There will be no infinity. After all, Jupiter-8M is from a rangefinder camera. There the working segment is different.

4. Emil
    06.04.2019

Hello. Thanks to this site I found a bunch of useful information! Thanks a lot!
    Now I want to ask. I found a Vivitar 90-230mm f / 4.5 lens and I can’t understand whether it can be used on modern cameras? There is a replaceable shank T4 / TX-mount, could not find the information. Most likely I was looking badly. Thanks in advance!

31.07.2019

Hello. I would like to talk about one unpleasant moment. On Canon DSLRs, and especially Nikon, m39 threaded lenses, even SLRs will not quite focus on infinity. The fact is that they have a working distance of 0,3 mm shorter than that of the m42. Accordingly, the adapter for them should be 0,3mm thinner. But, unfortunately, it is almost impossible to find such adapters, because this standard, unlike the m42, as well as the range-finder version m39 (working distance 28,8) is purely Soviet, and our Chinese friends unfortunately do not make adapters for purely Soviet standards . This problem can be solved by grinding the surface of the adapter onto these 0,3 mm.

31.07.2019

Glad for you, it’s bad that you have reached your mind. It was necessary to read it for a long time.

6. Tile
    08.08.2019

Zdrastvuyte podskajite pojaluysta u menya fotoaparat canon6d mark 2 I obyektiv kalenynar 3v 2/8 150 ,, kakoy perexadnik mne nujen chtobi srabotalo obyektiv s cameroy ??

7. Tile
    08.08.2019

Rezbaa ne znayu kakaya

• Konstantin
      15.08.2019

Even if you cannot find a thread in a reference book or on the Internet, you can always try it on. Any competent locksmith, having an appropriate thread gauge, can do this for you in 2-3 minutes. But you can also go to some center where cameras are repaired - there the repairmen will probably tell you.

19.08.2019

Useful article! On account of the fact that no Soviet lens will have autofocusing, you are wrong. Look here - https://www.youtube.com/watch?time_continue=48&v=1nHM6Kda3z8

19.08.2019

Well, well, that's just not everyone can do it.

• Mark
      13.12.2020

this is a hybrid, a rework, and not a Soviet af-lens.

9. Eugene
    31.08.2019

Arkady, good evening.
    Tell me, please, but
    what about the diaphragm? In the combination of Helios 44 and canon, the diaphragm is constantly wiped out, in the canon there is no mechanical “release” to drive the diaphragm.
    Thank you.

• Roman
      31.08.2019

Cover with handles to the desired values. No other way.

31.08.2019

Set aperture manually

• Eugene
        02.09.2019

But no. Due to the design of the diaphragm trigger drive, it is forcedly open when the adapter ring is installed ...

02.09.2019

So it can and should be easily fixed

10. Vladimir
    13.09.2019

Hello. Tell me, you may have encountered: I installed Helios 44 on a canon m50, through an adapter without a chip. Everything is fine, live view shows the focus area. But the shutter does not release. That is, it does not programmatically include video recording, photo snapshot. I press the buttons - it does not respond. With the native lens, everything is ok.

11. Novel
    18.11.2019

Good afternoon!
    Could you tell me if the excerpt from this article applies, namely: …… ”Some lenses require improvement of the aperture control method. Usually it comes down to the fact that you need to block the mechanism of the blinking diaphragm, so that the diaphragm can be controlled manually. ", To the Zenitar-M 1,7 / 50 lens? Would like to try it on Canon 7d via M42-EOS adapter.

04.05.2020

On this Zenitar there is a switch with the letters M and A, just switch to M.

12. Maria
    30.11.2019

Good day!
    Does anyone have experience using different adapters with chips.
    According to personal feelings, confirmation of focus is very slow, often the camera skips when you several times walk along the same point without confirmation. Maybe it's in the chip. On Nikon the same camera is much faster focusing is confirmed, the first time it hooked a point.

13. Edward
    14.12.2019

Good day. Please tell me which adapter Kiev 5 to Canon is needed here

14.12.2019

Good day. Adapters from this CONTAX-Kiev mount to Canon EF / EFS do not exist.

14. Edward
    14.12.2019

Here is another photo on the same issue

15. Edward
    16.12.2019

No options? Thank you for answering

16. Leonid
    19.12.2019

Dear comrades, I am extremely grateful for this material. I copied everything, printed it out (because there is no memory anymore). Now I will use this material. Remained lenses from Soviet technology. They are very high quality. And the cameras had to be handed over to the museum as unnecessary

17. Victor
    02.02.2020

The article is very useful, take note. If they crashed the lens, buy a new one, it will be the same, there is a pair of Helios 44. We will bet, thanks !!

18. Vyacheslav
    02.02.2020

Is there an option to use these lenses, so to speak, at full speed? Lenses suitable for a full frame can, after all, be connected to cropped devices through a speed booster and use the capabilities of a full frame on a crop. Is it possible to somehow contrive to connect some Helios to my Canon 650D carcass?

• Roman
      02.02.2020

Such a speed booster, in addition to shrinking the image, must also change the working segment. Either the circuit becomes more complicated, or the quality is worse. I don’t remember that it came across.

02.02.2020

Only on the BZK.

04.05.2020

Thanks for the stuff.
    Not sure what options in manual mode are there in EOS besides LiveView? Now I use Nikon D5000 - there in the viewfinder the green circle of the rangefinder lights up when you get into focus - very convenient and accurate (for me with my vision). With bursts of 3 frames with shutter lag 1-2 are sharp. I feel uncomfortable through the LCD screen, and the battery runs out quickly.
    I want to try some sprinkled EOS to get infinity on old M42 and M39 lenses.
    Questions:
    1. Is there some kind of EOS model with a rangefinder like the Nikon green dot in the viewfinder.
    2. If so, will it work with a simple mechanical adapter without a chip.
    3. If without a chip in any way, then how to drive the lens data into it?
    4. Do I need a separate chip adapter for each lens?

• Andrei
      04.05.2020

I re-read it two more times, like I found the answers to everything:
      1. Yes
      2. Not
      3. I do not know, I ask the help of knowledgeable people.
      4. Yes

It remains only to ask 3.

• Alexey
      04.05.2020

you need an adapter with an EMF chip, it allows you to program a focus confirmation correction. Moreover, for the accuracy of this action, the aperture value 1.1 must be programmed in the chip, but the FR value can be any, it does not affect anything.
      but shooting in LV is very convenient. I wrote a lot where how to do it right with the help of ML.

20. Alexey
    04.05.2020

Arkady, add to this article that text about the use of ML that I threw in the FAQ.

21. Anatoly
    28.06.2020

Hello!
    More? How do the settings affect exposure metering?
    I quote:
    "Attention 2. The parameters set in the dandelion (hard-wired focal and aperture values) practically do not affect the operation of focus confirmation, but they do affect metering."

• Michael
      29.06.2020

At Canon, the focusing screen is darkened non-linearly with aperture cover. This is taken into account when operating the exposure meter. Therefore, the camera will give different ratios of e-couples depending on the parameters sewn into the dandelion. Crooked, but somehow

• Kiryan
        30.08.2020

And then how will he measure the exposure if there is no chip at all?
        I've taken an adapter without a chip, now I'm racking my head about how the exposure meter will behave (camera kenon eos 300, film. When installing the adapter, it writes the aperture value of 00, and in the M mode it even tries to show the exposure scale on the exposure scale, but to change the aperture value of the exposure answer inadequately, IMHO. And it will be possible to check all this economy only after snapping off the entire film)

• Alexey
        30.08.2020

a hundred times written on all Internet zabra - kenon measures exposure even on an empty bayonet. but Nikon can't do that. only the elders can, if the parameters of the optics are registered in the camera.

• Maria
        31.08.2020

I don't prescribe anything, the D800 measures the exposure on all lenses. I do not understand at all what needs to be prescribed there if the matrix illumination is measured. Only the diaphragm is not displayed correctly, but this is already from the category of "the best enemy of the good"

• Ivan
        31.08.2020

Maria, the exposure is measured not on the matrix, but on a separate exposure sensor. It sits on top of the prism, next to the viewfinder.

22. Valery Novikov
    08.07.2020

Dear Arkady! question for you - I bought a Canon M50. Is it possible to adapt to it lenses from Asahi film pentax with bayonet mount? Are there any adapters? Thanks!

08.07.2020
      • Valery Novikov
        08.07.2020

Thank you for your prompt and specific answer! But another question - has the problem with the protrusion on the shank of the objects been solved? they do not touch the matrix? Or should they be cut down?

08.07.2020

They don’t hurt, the adapter is very thick (long), 3-4 times longer than the rear protrusion, this is an adapter from a mirror lens to a mirrorless mirror, it compensates for the working segment (that is, the place where the mirror was, etc.).

• Valery Novikov
        08.07.2020

Thank you!

23. Alexey
    23.08.2020

Good day.
    I am interested in this question. Actually there is a Helios 44th lens and a Canon EOS M mirrorless camera with a 1,6x crop. A conventional adapter multiplies the crop factor and the resulting focusing area is 93 mm.
    Perhaps there are adapters that would level out the crop and Helios 44th gave out its standard focal length, as in a full frame?

• twm
      23.08.2020

Alexey, each lens is calculated for a specific area on which it will project the image. The crop factor of aps-c matrices is essentially a direct indication of which part of the viewing angle should be cut off when a full-frame lens is used on an aps-c camera.

For Helios, with its 58 mm FR and ~ 40 degree viewing angle, 1.6 crop will give an angle of view of 25: in other words, the crop sensor simply does not capture part of the projected image. You can return the “full angle” either by purchasing a camera with a “full-frame” sensor, or by purchasing a speedbooster adapter - ie. an adapter with a lens that will "collect" the image produced by 35 mm optics and project it onto the crop matrix.

But such an adapter costs a lot of money (from ~ $ 70), and I don't know if there are EOS M versions for m42 lenses.

24.08.2020

The adapter itself does not multiply anything, the crop factor appears only due to the smaller matrix size.

07.01.2021

I uncovered my filming skills here. I bought a Canon EOS 50 for inexpensive, an adapter from Helios 44 to EF with and without a chip. And here's what is strange: the adapter with the chip seems to cling to the mirror: the camera no, no, and it will hang, throwing the mirror back after the release, and waits for me to reboot it. I look - an adapter with a chip with a bevel literally millimeter. And without a chip - without a chamfer.
    But that was not the case: I sealed the chip with electrical tape, as if it was not there. I put on an adapter with a chip and electrical tape. And made the camera take pictures. And she did it without freezing! That is, the matter is in the chip ... And this is the second adapter with a chip already like this ...
    The EOS 50 skips a frame at least (at least counts down). But the EOS 500n doesn't even do that, so every time after such a freeze one frame is damaged.
    I don't understand what this is :-( I want to somehow shoot without this freeze, although at the 50th, it seems, the frames do not suffer because of this.

• Rodion Eshmakov
      07.01.2021

Newer chips don't work well with some cameras, especially older ones. Take adapters without chips.

• Alexander
        07.01.2021

So it’s clear: also a way out. But I wanted to get an assistant with focusing: the old cameras have a mirror that is very inconvenient for manual focus (and I want to use old lenses).

In this case, I took a Canon EF-M with Doden wedges. But EF-M is all unsightly, you can't choose exposure meter modes ... Dilemma :)