Please note that there are many different versions of the lens named HELIOS-44-2 (or HELIOS-44-2). The lenses were produced in different bodies, at different factories and had many options even among the same version. You can find a general list of them in the section 'A Thousand and One Nights with HELIOS-44'.
As for this review, it shows a lens named HELIOS-44-2 2/58 and serial number 83052779 produced by the Jupiter Optical and Mechanical Plant, Valdai. Judging by the number, the lens was released in 1983. Different versions of HELIOS-44-2 lenses do not differ in principle. In general, HELIOS-44-2 is a common modification / revision of the previous version - HELIOS-44 2 / 58 (names are similar: 44 and 44-2, do not be confused).
HELIOS-44-2 2/58 looks like this:
HELIOS-44-2 2/58 has a ring presets aperture. With it, you can select one of the fixed values: F / 2, 2.8, 4, 5.6, 8, 11, 16. Unlike the preset ring, the aperture ring rotates smoothly and with it you can set any intermediate value. The smooth running of the aperture ring is useful when shooting video. The diaphragm consists of 8 petals that form a hole in the form of regular polyhedrons. Unfortunately, the diaphragm blades are poorly blackened.
The focus ring rotates 270 degrees (!), The progress of the ring is smooth. Manual focus is quite convenient. During focusing, the front lens does not rotate, only the frame rim lengthens. HELIOS-44-2 2/58 has a focus distance scale (only in meters) and a depth of field scale for F / 2, 4, 5.6, 8, 11, 16.
The lens uses simple chemical enlightenment and poorly tolerates side and back light. Also, HELIOS-44-2 2/58 does not have blackened chamfers of lenses, which can adversely affect the contrast of the final image.
Image quality and sample photos
In the center of the image, the lens is sharp enough even at F / 2.0. On covered diaphragms, the edges and corners of the image return to normal. HELIOS-44-2 2/58 is a little yellow. Like other lenses of the HELIOS-44 family, version 44-2 twists the background (legendary 'twisted bokeh' of helios). Such a lens can be a great find for the amateur photographer :).
I have been using about 10 lenses HELIOS-44-2 2/58 different manufacturers, the specimens did not differ in any way from each other. For some reason it so happened that this review, which you are reading now, is the most popular of all reviews of the old Soviet optics. This is most likely due to the mass and availability of this lens at flea markets. If you come across a normal Helios-44-2, then it will not be any worse than other lenses in the HELIOS-44 line, which use simple (not 'MC') enlightenment.
How to use with modern cameras?
Lenses with mounting thread M42 (M42 X 1 / 45.5), such as the lens from this review, are very easy to use on almost any modern digital camera (both SLR and mirrorless), for this it is enough to choose the right adapter (adapter). You do not need to carry out any additional steps to modify the lens.
The cheapest adapters can be found at Aliexpress.com... There are adapters (adapters) with a chip that provide more convenience during shooting, usually chips are used to confirm focus and / or metering exposure, and form the correct EXIF. The chip does not affect the image quality in any way.
For some SLR cameras (for example, with the Nikon F-mount), you need to use adapters with a corrective lens, which allows you to focus correctly at all focusing distances. For any mirrorless cameras, such a lens is not needed, and the adapter is a simple decorated hollow metal tube with an appropriate mount.
For SLR cameras
- Canon: For cameras Canon EOS with bayonet mount EF / EF-S need an M42-Canon EOS adapter, such an adapter with a chip can be found herewithout chip here.
- NIKON: For cameras Nikon DX / FXas well as for cameras Fujifilm и Kodak with a Nikon F mount, you need an M42-Nikon F adapter, you can buy such an adapter without a lens and a chip here, with a lens without a chip herewith chip without lens here, with lens and chip here. Why a lens? Why chip?
- PENTAX: For Pentax cameras with K mount, you need an M42-Pentax K adapter, you can buy such an adapter here.
- SONY/MINOLTA: For cameras with a Sony / Minolta A mount, you need the M42-Sony A adapter, you can find such an adapter without a chip at this linkwith a chip at this link.
- OLYMPUS/PANASONIC/LEICA: For cameras with a 4/3 bayonet mount (not to be confused with Micro 4/3!) You need an M42-4 / 3 adapter, you can buy such an adapter here.
For mirrorless cameras
- SONY: For cameras with 'E'/'FE' mount series SonyNEX и Sony Alpha you need an adapter M42-Sony E (aka M42-Sony Nex), you can find it at this link. An autofocus adapter is also available for these cameras. Techart PRO Leica M - Sony E Autofocus Adapterwhich can be found at this link.
- OLYMPUS / PANASONIC / KODAK / XIAOMI: For cameras with a bayonet mount Micro 4/3 (Micro 4:3) you need an adapter M42-Micro 4/3, you can find it at this link.
- CANON M: For cameras with Canon EF-M mount need adapter M42-Canon M, it can be found at this link.
- CANON R and RF-S: For cameras with Canon RF mount need adapter M42-Canon R, it can be found at this link.
- Nikon 1: For cameras Nikon 1 Series need adapter M42-Nikon 1, you can find it at this link.
- Nikon Z: For cameras Nikon Z series (FX/DX) need an adapter M42-Nikon Z, it can be found at this link.
- FUJIFILM X: For cameras with mount X need an M42-Fuji X adapter, you can find it at this link.
- FUJIFILM GFX: For medium format cameras G-mount need M42-Fuji GFX adapter, you can find it at this link.
- SAMSUNG: For cameras with NX mount, you need an M42-Samsung NX adapter, you can find it at this link. There are no adapters for the NX mini camera yet.
- PENTAX: For Q-mount cameras, you need an M42-Pentax Q adapter, you can find it at this link.
- SIGMA / PANASONIC / LEICA: For cameras with L mount you need an M42-Leica L adapter, you can find it at this link.
- LEICA: For cameras with a bayonet mount Leica M need adapter M42-L / M, you can find it at this link.
If you have any questions on compatibility and adapters - ask in the comments (comments do not require any registration at all).
Reviews for the Helios-44 2/58 lenses:
- Helios-44 2/58 [KMZ, 13 petals, M39, silver, No. 0220423]
- Helios-44 2/58 [KMZ, 8 petals, M39, silver]
- Helios-44 1: 2 F = 5,8 cm П [KMZ with replaced lenses, No. 0007220, review of the lens from the reader Radozhiva]
- HELIOS-44M 2/58 [KMZ, 8 petals, serial number 7843528]
- HELIOS-44M 2/58 [Jupiter plant, Valdai, 8 petals, serial number 8027170]
- HELIOS-44-2 2/58 [plant 'Jupiter', Valdai, 8 petals, serial number 83052779] + autofocus review
- MS Helios 44-3 2/58 [MMZ, 8 petals, 8619437, 9167912]
- MC Helios-44M-4 2/58
- Helios-44K-4 58mm 1:2 [KMZ, 6 petals, Pentax K]
- MC Helios-44M-4 58mm 1: 2 [plant 'Jupiter', Valdai, 6 petals] + autofocus review
- MC Helios-44M-5 58mm 1: 2 [Jupiter plant, Valdai, 6 petals]
- MC Helios-44M-6 58mm 1: 2 [plant 'Jupiter', Valdai, 6 petals]
- MC Helios-44M-7 58mm 1: 2 [plant 'Jupiter', Valdai, 6 petals]
- An article about most of the major modifications of the Helios-44 series
- Gallery of pictures on MC Helios-44M-4
- Look at modern the lenses 'Helios' can at this link
- A lot of Helios of all varieties can be found on ebay this link
Original 'Carl Zeiss Jena Biotar 2/58 ':
- Carl Zeiss Jena Biotar 1: 2 f = 5,8cm T [17 diaphragm blades, M42]
- Carl Zeiss Jena Biotar 2 / 58 T [12 diaphragm blades, M42]
- A lot of Biotars of all varieties can be found on ebay this link
Look at modern the lenses 'Zenitar' и 'Helios' can at this link.
HELIOS-44-2 2/58 (aka Helios-44-2 2/58) - one of the most common lenses of the Helios-44 series. The mass production of such lenses did not benefit the image quality. The lens can and should be used for any creative ideas. On cropped cameras, it can serve good portrait lens.
Share the review on social networks. If you have any questions about the lens or about compatibility and adapters, ask in the comments (comments do not require any registration at all).Comments on this post do not require registration. Anyone can leave a comment. Many different photographic equipment can be found on AliExpress.com.